Rental Basics in Chicago>Question Details

Kristin, Renter in Chicago, IL

How soon before moving in should you begin your search for an apartment in Uptown Chicago?

Asked by Kristin, Chicago, IL Mon Aug 5, 2013

Answers

10
You usually will not find many options more than 2 months from when you want to move. Most start showing up by 45 days
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 5, 2013
I would start a month out, two at most. Good Luck!
AS soon as you are considering the move. You need to become familiar with the real estate market where you intend to move . You also need to do your homework when it comes to selecting a mortgage compaany and knowing your financiail strength to obtaining the best mortgage program for your purchase.
30-45 days and be prepared to act quickly.

Have your credit, income, application and anything else the landlord asks for ready to hand over.
I agree with all the previous answers. You cannot lok before 60 days out, unless it is a new construction or large rehab. 60 to 45 days is good but more may come on the market around 30 days out.

Hi Kristin,

General concensus is 45 days and come ready to be decisive quickly. The rental market is hot and strong with multiple applicants.

45 Days depending on what your looking for. If you need assistance please feel free to contact me at diana@findingourbalance.com. I can send you a few listings in the Uptown area. Good luck with your apartment search.
Kristin,

If you have not pets 45 days out and if you have pets 60 days out. The rental market is so competitive right now that if it were I, I would shy away from the traditional 30 days out.
I would say about a month out. These move very fast.
Do NOT start more than 2 months before. Landlords cannot show already rented units until the last 60 days of the lease, and you want a unit that other people wanted. Starting 1 month before could make you feel a bit rushed. 6 weeks before seems to be the optimum time for most tenants.