Rental Basics in Lawrence>Question Details

Wildcat20, Renter in Lawrence, KS

How safe is it to rent a home off of craigslist in Lawrence, KS?

Asked by Wildcat20, Lawrence, KS Fri Apr 27, 2012

I have been looking for houses online and found several nice options on craigslist. A few of the renters say they are out of town or out of the country and are looking for a reliable renter, I'm not sure if I should trust them or not. Most of the out of state renters all have religious and mission trips listed as the reason they are gone and looking for responsible renters.

Answers

4
TERRY MCCARLEY’s answer
If it sounds like a scam it probably is a scam! Work with a Realtor! Do not fall prey to someone hiding behind a computer saying they are doing mission work in another country!!! This scam has been going around for a few years now and sadly people are still falling for it.
It is not safe..!! if you want to get scammed, you are going down the right path... We have had incidents in Lawrence of people paying security deposits to people in the driveway to people that don't have anything to do with the ownership of the house... all the while thinking that they are going to move in... DON'T DO IT !!
Shoot me an email on what you find, and I will be happy to at least field a couple for you... Thanks, Marty
http://www.MartyHenderson.com MartyHendersonRealtyExecutives@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 27, 2012
I am sure there are some, but before you lump them altogether to get business be careful. My house is run by a very good property manager in Lawrence. I agree with your know who your renting from, there are scams everywhere. I got the worst renter before I used a property management co. They had a 7 yr contract the city was paying for, left me with $6,000 in damages. So owners beware of even the "corporate sponsered renters".
Flag Tue Jun 5, 2012
Wildcat20 makes no sense. you have been looking? found nice options? the renters say they are out of town? or do you mean the owner? Is the owner looking for a reliable renter? or are you looking for a house? As an owner out of town - I am looking for a responsible renter! No I am not on a mission trip. I have a corporate rental, or bid nice house , run by property manager, I am strict about my expectations.
Call me. I can help with the information you need.
Web Reference: http://www.KSLease.com