Trulia Brook…, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

How negotiable are rents in Williamsburg?

Asked by Trulia Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY Mon Feb 18, 2013

Answers

8
The Rents are not very negotiable. The rental market is very strong here.There is now a difference of only $295 between the median rent in Brooklyn and Manhattan's median rent - $3,095 - the second smallest gap on record.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 8, 2014
Not very.

Williamburg at this time is a very much indemand, very sought after area. Landlords are getting what they want due to this.

Put yourself in the landlord's shoes:
Would you think of negotiating a rent on an apartment thats in demand?
Seriously!??!?!

Luke Constantino
REMAX NEW YORK
(212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
261 4th Avenuue, Brooklyn NY 11215
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
The market rent may be negotiable depending on several factors:

1- How long the apartment has been on the market?
2- The location and the condition of the apartment
3- Offering additional securtiy or signing a longer lease.

The list goes on!

It doesn't hurt to ask but be reasonable when negotiating or some property owners may be turned off.

The list goes on!

I NYC all rentals are not negotiable, because of high traffic of clients.
Having managed and rented properties in Williams burg for 25 years I never seen inventory this low. With that being said, the ability to negotiate rent is slim to null. I would work closely with a seasoned real estate professional who has access to many smaller landlords inventory since they will offer the best deals.
Williamsburg is a very desirable and hot rental market so there is not much flexibility at this time as we enter the busy season.
Unfortunately not very negotiable at all right now. I think landlords are just greedy and getting what they want. I speak as a former landlord who owned an apartment building in East Williamsburg. I was quite willing to negotiate and I did, as long as both tenant and landlord come out OK. But again don't think most landlords are like I was- it just is very difficult. I would urge you to try anyway if you can prove you would be a GREAT tenant, ie, no partier and loud noises and if they like you they drop a few dollars off the rent., Even if you get them down to 5o dollars a month that would be wonderful when you think of it as a yearly amount.