Rental Basics in 19147>Question Details

Eric Sheppard, Renter in Philadelphia, PA

How much should I save to get my first place? Tips. Knowledge.

Asked by Eric Sheppard, Philadelphia, PA Sat Apr 5, 2014

For about 6 years, I have been renting rooms throughout Philadelphia. At my age, 25, I feel as though it is time for me to live without any odd roommates. The general rule of renting an apartment is going with something that is about 30 percent of your income. For me that is $600 a month. Typically, Philadelphia renters requires 1 month SD, first month's rent, and second month's rent. So in grand total I need $1800 saved up. How much more do I need to save for other things such as furniture, toiletries, kitchen supplies, moving fees, and etc.

Answers

1
That would depend on the prices you get quoted. This would be an excellent opportunity for you to use some of the skills taught in schools, research. Good craig list ads and shop for furniture, go to the stores and shop for what you spend, thrift stores, dollar stores, call moving companies, etc.

Also plan for emergencies, and put money aside in savings each and every month. A good rule is 5-10% of your income should be saved for the future.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 5, 2014
Awesome!! Thanks!!!
Flag Sun Apr 6, 2014