Rental Basics in Santa Cruz>Question Details

Samantha Old…, Real Estate Pro in Capitola, CA

How much notice am I entitled to after my landlord sells the property to a new owner?

Asked by Samantha Olden, Capitola, CA Sat Jun 23, 2012

I am in a month to month agreement but have been in the property for over a year. Are the new owners required to give me 60 day notice? I knew the house was in escrow but my current landlord did not know if the buyers loan was going through until today. The buyers asked the seller/landlord to give me notice but it was not in the contract and they have not given me notice. They gave me a "heads up" that the new owners will probably give me notice when the sale closes.

Help the community by answering this question:


If you have an agreement it should transfer to the new owner unless it states it is void or ends upon a sale of the property. Where you are month to month the new owner can give you a notice to vacate based on what your state law is. Here in Nh for instance it would be a 30 day notice. Simply google landlord tenant law CA and review your state laws.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 23, 2012
All the information governing how a tenant and landlord should handle this situation is covered here:

A court will uphold California Law on these matters no matter what your lease says.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 23, 2012
What does it say in your written agreement with the landlord? That would be the first place to look. If you don't have access to it...see if your landlord has a copy...if neither of you has a copy, contact a landlord-tenant organization in your community, They might be able to offer you the legal guidelines.

From my experience, 60 days is a lot of notice...30 days is way more common...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
You are asking very "legal" questions which involve landlord/tenant issues in your state. Best thing to do is contact a lawyer who will review all the documents who know the law and can give you legal advice, which is what you need. If it's about finances, try getting a lawyer through the local State Bar Lawyer Referral program . . . I'm sure they have that in your area. In my area (Portland, Oregon) the cost to discuss issues with a lawyer through the referral program is $35 -- well worth it!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer