Rental Basics in Denver>Question Details

Trulia Denver, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

How much does a pet hurt the owner's chance of getting a rental?

Asked by Trulia Denver, Denver, CO Thu Jan 17, 2013

Answers

6
Matt Bryant’s answer
I would agree with Debbie's answer. I own many rental properties around town, and usually my best tenants have all been dog owners. They care for the dog, and they also care for the house. This has just been my experience, and I am sure that others will dispute my opinion. The point is, pets may narrow your choices a bit, but there are pet friendly landlords all over. I currently have no vacancies on 12 properties near Denver, but that may change in the springtime. Feel free to call me on my cell phone to see if any fit.

Matt Bryant
720-934-0455
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
Pets are family. Many landlord's are reluctant to permit pets in their rental properties. I advise my landlord clients to consider that good people make good tenants and good people do not abandon their pets. A conscientious pet owner will keep the rental in clean condition. Ask the landlord to consider holding a small additional deposit. My feeling is, it can't hurt to ask :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2013
As a proud pet owner of 3 dogs (Greyhound, Whippet, and Irish Terrier) who rented for many years in Denver, I think you will find the market more friendly than most to pet owners. I rented in central denver for many years and had to pay small pet fee's or small additional rent, but it was well worth it as you often lived amongst other pet lovers and owners. Also, Denver is making a lot of effort to build more dog parks, I think the culture amongst landlords is changing! If you would like to me to point you to some dog friendly dog landlords, let me know!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 23, 2013
I own rental properties and I would always give preference to someone who doesn't have a pet. So, since the rental market is so hot and many times people are competing for a place, owning a pet can be a deal killer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2013
My experience is small pets not so bad but large or multiple pets will be difficult. If you are willing to pay a hefty pet deposit, sometimes landlords will say ok. Good luck!

Martine Addison
Remax Prifessionals
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2013
It is more important to have the responsible tenant so I take everything into consideration but I generally lean towards tenants without pets. I've had to replace carpet twice and have dealt with backyards with more wear and tear. Many people looking a rental homes instead of apartments have pets so I charge a pet deposit and limit the amount of pets to two.

Nina Kuhl
Web Reference: http://www.kuhlnina.com