Ethelrapp, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

How much additional value does a fully furnished apartment have over an empty apartment?

Asked by Ethelrapp, Brooklyn, NY Wed Apr 17, 2013

Answers

4
Bill Eckler-Florida,’s answer
Simply stated, its the value of the furnishings....with this said, most people lend to overvalue their furnishings in these situations. When buying we always recommend, when negotiating a contract, to make your offer based on the home itself. Then after the fact, make an offer on the furnishings.

In the case of renting, the presence of furnishings is also over rated. If you able to be inconvenienced a little and begin by ruffing it a bit, you may be surprised how cheaply and nicely, you can furnish a unit.

I frankly would prefer an unfurnished unit from the perspective that it's one less thing I have to worry about. A stain on the sofa, a broken chair leg, or scratch on a finish has the potential of resurfacing in the form of a penalty on your deposit.

It still depends on the location and your ideal renter. I have all my apartments furnished in Adelaide because I'm catering to short term leases. People are usually looking for fully furnished apartments because they're relocating and on business. I usually don't have a renter stay for more then a year. Generally they're around for about 6 months. You do charge more for rent however. http://www.adelaidedresscircle.com.au/ads/apartments/itemid-233
Fully furnished, i.e., sheets, towels, forks, pans, plates, etc., are a special market, often for temporary corporate guests. Rent can be 60-80% over a vacant rental.
Greetings
it varies based on the term of the lease & the season (season is Dec-March in S. Florida)

generally, an unfurnished rental commands more rent for annual & a fully furnished or turnkey unit will command more for a short term or seasonal rental (3-6month range)

- for an annual rental the answer (unless it's perfect gorgeous furniture) is none.

take care

Rhett Winslow
Real Estate Sales Agent at Coldwell Banker Boca Raton

rhettwinslow@me.com (direct email)
561-809-6565 phone or text
linkedin.com/in/rhettwinslow
561-395-2297 Fax

Office & Mailing Address
Rhett Winslow at Coldwell Banker
1 S. Ocean Blvd. Suite 2
Boca Raton, Florida 33432

2X Sterling Award Winner | Top 3.3% nationwide | over 151 Closed