Rental Basics in Queens>Question Details

Infojunkie, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

How long does it take to find an apt and finalize the lease in New York?

Asked by Infojunkie, New York, NY Tue Apr 10, 2012

I was thinking of coming to NY in mid July to find an apt. Would I be able to get a move in date of August 1 if I find something?

Answers

6
Anu Dutta’s answer
In New York you shouldn't start looking more than 30days prior to your move in date. For Manhattan sometime the owner start showing 2months prior to the lease end date of the current tenant. So it all depends apartment to apartment. If you're working with a broker make sure you mention this clearly otherwise if you like something and landlord need someone to move sooner than your move in date then you might end up loosing the apartment.
Hello IJunkie. Depending on what size you need (1 or 2 BR's?) and your budget, it is possible to find an apartment on the first outing to view. What happens is most people don't want to hear anything they are told to help them be ready to move forward once they find an apt.

The looking is secondary to having all of your paperwork together before you even start looking. I also predicate my response to the fact that you should use a broker. If not, you'll have nobody to blame but yourself when you try on your own and blow it.

Step one: Get with an Agent/Broker ASAP.
Step teo: Heed their words when they tell you to do something.
Step three: experience the quiet enjoyment of your new pad.

Hi Joseph,
If I am using Insurent as a guarantor do I need any other documentation?
I am looking for a large studio 600 sq ft or more or 1 br. My budget is1,300 with some utilites included and 1,500 with all included. I like what I hear about
Forest Hills and I definitely would be using a broker.

I would like to see some pictures of Forest Hills can you suggest any sites.

Thanks for advice.
Flag Tue Apr 10, 2012
Work with an agent and leave yourself plenty of time to look; a month, or so, before your move in date should be enough time to locate a suitable rentals; you agent can best advise. If looking to rent in the Queens area, check out http://www.mlsli.com
I have gotten rentals for individuals in as little as a week, but I would allow as much time as possible in case you don't find the right apartment immediately. Stay in contact with an agent prior to you arrival so that they can set up apartments to see. As previously stated you will need a bit of documentation once you have located the right apartment, as well as access to the funds needed for rent and security and other fees. Sometimes the funds are requested in the form of a bank check.

If you contact our office one of my agents can help you through the process

Jacques Ambron
Broker
Madeleine Realty Ltd.
http://www.madeleinerealty.com
718-520-0303
You should start no later than 1 month before your move in date.
So i guess it's best to come to NY earlier look and then return. I was trying to avoid having to pay for accommodation for more than 2 weeks while looking.
Any other suggestions
Flag Tue Apr 10, 2012

Contact a Rental Agent who has Apartment Listings in your desired area. View the agent's listings online before your arrival. If you identify an apartment that you would like to view, schedule a viewing with that Agent.

After viewing the Apartment(s), and you like it, the process usually takes 24 to 48 hours process the application and get approved for the Rental. If approved, a lease signing date will be scheduled.

You need to have the following standard qualifications ready, so when you find an apartment that you like, you will be able to submit your complete application right away. This is very important doing the peak rental season.

Qualifications:

Residential Lease Application fully completed, and signed by each adult to live in apartment.
$75.00 Application Fee (credit card, certified check, or money order) for each adult to live in apartment
Proof of Employment (Letter from Employer)
Copy of your most recent Bank Statement (Show enough income to cover min. 3 times monthly rent)
In good standing at current resident (Letter from current Landlord: They want to see that you have paid rent on-time, and never been to Landlord Tenant Court)
Good Credit (Never filed Bankruptcy)
Copies of your last two pay stubs or last two years of federal tax returns, if self-employed.
You must earn 40 times the rent.
Guarantor must earn 80 times the rent.
A copy of a valid government-issued photo ID (i.e. - Drivers License, State ID, Passport)

Call Me,

Samuel Odom
KIAN REALTY NYC
917-569-5022
sodom@kianrealtynyc.com
View My Listings at http://www.ioirealty.com
I am international student and would be using Insurent as my guarantor.
Do I need to provide additional documentation outside of that?
Flag Tue Apr 10, 2012