Rental Basics in San Antonio>Question Details

Patrick &…, Renter in San Antonio, TX

How far in advance should we start searching and contacting rentals?

Asked by Patrick & Talia, San Antonio, TX Thu Aug 15, 2013

My fiancee and I are consolidating our households... and our pets. We're hoping to rent a house starting this December, although with some flexibility on the move date. We're concerned that our pets will make this much harder, and don't want to wait until the last second. Does anyone have advice on when to start looking?

Thanks for any input!

Answers

3
Sue Baillio’s answer
You should start your search for lease property about 4-6 weeks out. Property managers will aim to avoid lost income so they will hold properties vacant as short of time as possible.
Please consider your dog breeds and be aware that some breeds have harder times being accepted and about 50% property managers will not accept cats - this will impact your search.

Contact me for more assistance when you are ready.

Sue
Unfortunately there is a shortage of homes both for sale and rent currently. Really good rentals go in less than a week. It should be slower around December, but you can never tell. I would not waste your time seriously looking till a couple of week’s before you move. I would however have a realtor set you up with rental listing in the Market about 6 weeks ahead of time so you can familiarize yourself with what the rentals are going for. What areas you prefer, what amenities you want. When you have your needs and wants clear and in tune with what is available in your price range you will be able to make a quick decision on a great place when the time comes.

Greg Smith
Keller Williams
The Misty Wood Team
210-557-6038
gregorysmith1966@hotmail.com.
Most owner will not allow you to hold a house to far out. They usually give you about 2 weeks to 4 weeks move in time from the signing of the lease. So if you are needing to move in, let say, Dec 1st you should start looking about mid November. Rental house go very fast, and I find myself rushing to beat other agents, to get my clients application in first, because they are processed first come, first served (so to speak).

What kind of dogs do you have and how much do they weigh. 99% of places do not allow aggressive dogs like, Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Chows or Dobermans. Some also have restrictions on weight.

Give me a call when you are ready to start looking and I would be more than happy to help you find the perfect house.