Rental Basics in 80305>Question Details

Anne Harnack, Renter in

How do you find an affordable single family home, duplex or townhouse during a high need time?

Asked by Anne Harnack, Fri Oct 4, 2013

My son and I moved here from MN in April, were flooded out of our home last month. We are having a really hard time finding a nice home for us, our dog and cat. Thanks for any advise and suggestions you can provide!

Answers

11
Hi Anne,
I have such empathy for what you have just gone through with the flooding. Please let me know what you consider affordable. I have helped many people purchase and sell homes in the Boulder Permanently Affordable program. Some homes are under $200,000 and very nice -- built since year 2000 -- and you must qualify (income maximum, assets maximum and must be employed -- in short). Builders have been required to build 20% of their neighborhood in an affordable price range, so you, in your PA home, are often living amongst $600,000 homes and above.

Are you talking about purchasing or renting? Feel free to call, text or email and I can be more specific.

Evie Cohen
RE/MAX Alliance
303-507-7001
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 4, 2013
The conversation here has turned somewhat to the Boulder Affordable Homes program. This affordable home just came up today on the MLS:

http://www.IRESis.com/cwa/link/?llid=fl6xm9

It is small, but you don't often see a house in Boulder for less than $350,000, if that. And most dwellings included under the Boulder program are attached dwellings like condos or townhouses.

Ron
If you are looking for a rent to own I would look on craigslist. If you want to buy a home with owner financing -contract for deed I would go hear. http://www.mnhomescontractfordeed.com

You will need 10% down to buy a home contract for deed sometimes more.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 2, 2013
Evie is correct that the affordable housing program in Boulder is an excellent option. And "affordable" in Boulder does not mean "low income." The income restrictions are fairly liberal. Evie also is correct that Lafayette is a good alternative to Boulder with better prices. (I know Evie. She is a very smart agent! And she would be a good choice for you.)

In addition to Lafayette, I would also check out south Longmont (which is an easy drive to Boulder on the Diagonal Hwy.) and Erie (which is a little longer drive, but the spectacular mountain views along the way make if feel shorter.)

Ron
If you can qualify for the Boulder Affordable Housing program I have a great 3 bedroom townhouse listed. 3950 Colorado Ave. #J . $204,083. Families with a minor have priority for making an offer. because it has 3 bedrooms. Your decent income might be too much, but you ought to check out http://www.BoulderAffordableHomes.com or call me for more info. It's in a great quiet location near the bike path and near Foothills Parkway.

Also you might look further East to Lafayette for more affordable properties.

Evie Cohe
303-507-7001
Thank you! I have not found housing. We have a dog and cat and that makes it challenging and nothing is affordable! We have decent income. Thanks for the referral I will contact!

Anne
Hi Anne,

I sincerely hope you've found suitable housing by now, but in case you haven't, I would recommend you contact Jill Bryant here at RE/MAX of Boulder (303-449-7000) about temporary housing. Jill was displaced, too, but is leading a large effort to match folks with available temporary housing. If there's anything reasonably available, she'll probably know about it.
Hopefully you have found something by now. But there certainly are others in the same boat (no pun intended) or, if you are still looking, I've had clients find short term rentals at livehereterracina.com‎ and horizonsatrockcreek.com‎ in the Superior/east Broomfield areas. In Longmont, you might try http://www.victoriainnapts.com/Floor-plans.aspx

And I've knows people to entirely miss the sublet/short term section on Craigslist: http://boulder.craigslist.org/sub/

And this blog post may also help: http://www.trulia.com/blog/rovtar/filter/category/Rentals/57

Kind regards,
Ron Rovtar
Front Range Real Estate, Ltd.
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
(Soon to be Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices)
The harsh reality is the pickings are slim. Get on a list with property management companies. Scan the web sites. Check with rent.com, Trulia and Zillow. And watch out for scams.

Best to you.

Suz
Hi Anne,

I'm sorry to hear you were in the path of the flood. There are so many displaced at this time and the rental market is very tight and I noticed a bit of a slow down in home sales as well. Are you looking to rent or purchase? If you are trying to purchase, what areas and price range are you considering? Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Christine Damiano
GreenSpot Real Estate
303-485-6205
christinedam52@yahoo.com
Hi Anne!
Unfortunately the housing and rental markets were tight before the flood and now even worse. A lot of times word-of-mouth is your best bet. Talk to everyone about your situation and your needs. The old saying, it's who you know, is true. Driving a distance (into metro area) will probably be required until things recover. I will keep you on my list. It sounds like you are looking to rent? How much can you afford and specific bed, bath, sqft, etc. requirements do you have? Call me to discuss the possibility to purchase -- there are a couple flexible loan programs out there...

Dena Schlutz
Owner / Broker
Estate Professionals
Dena, thank you for your response. I am interested in renting 1-2 bedroom that allows dogs I'd like to stay in the $1,200 price range. Thanks
Flag Sun Oct 6, 2013
Oops, forgot my phone number 303-588-7532
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013