Rental Basics in Baytown>Question Details

Melissa Rang…, Renter in Baytown, TX

How do I pay the property owner my deposit and not get scammed?

Asked by Melissa Rangel, Baytown, TX Tue Jan 15, 2013

Answers

7
Are you talking about a rental or home sale????

If you are paying a deposit for a key do not even think about sending that person a dime through western union. If it sounds fishy move on.
If you're uncomfortable, trust yourself and don't do it. There are other properies out there.
i would advise you to pay with check, it would be your proof, and you will have no problem
Web Reference: http://www.talktownre.com
I would find a title company that will hold the escrow and close the property. They will make sure he is the owner and can sell you the property. I am assuming the property is here in the US correct?
Okay I can do checks it's just he is in china and never done this and want to be sure my money is not being thrown away. I looked for a number to trulia to make sure it's legit. No luck.
Agree to use a closing agent or title company who will hold the earnest money/deposit until closing. BUT - if you feel you are at potential for getting scammed with just the deposit - what else is going on to make you feel that way.
What is making you already suspicious that you will be scammed? Do you think that the owner is not who he says he is? Pay him with a check so you have a record of him cashing it.