Rental Basics in Las Vegas>Question Details

eddieis50, Both Buyer and Seller in Las Vegas, NV

How do I get a permit to rent my house?

Asked by eddieis50, Las Vegas, NV Mon Jun 4, 2012

Answers

7
Matthew D'Ercole’s answer
No need, we are property management co with over 350 homes/condos under managment. If you need some help, advice, etc....please call or email me. If you've not done this before...you MUST call me. :) Matt 702.501.0973
Most of the people who have answered your question have good intentions but without knowing the complete story, it is impossible to answer your question definitively. I work in local government and I can assure you there are MOST DEFINITELY situations where you will either need a variance, a change in zoning or your request to rent your home will simply be denied because it does not conform to local ordinances.

For example, if you plan to rent your home and live in a detached garage that has previously been converted to living quarters, this is illegal in most jurisdictions and can result in fines or other penalties assessed against you as the property owner. If you plan to rent your home which you have subdivided into apartment type living quarters with a shared kitchen or kitchenettes in each apartment area, this is also illegal in most jurisdictions. If you plan to rent your home and occupy a recreational vehicle parked alongside or adjacent to your property, this is most likely illegal in most jurisdictions. As another person pointed out, if you live in an area that is part of a Homeowners Association, there may be restrictions or covenants that prevent you from renting your home as well. It is important that you fully acquaint yourself with the laws and conditions that govern the neighborhood where the property you'd like to rent is located.

I would suggest, BEFORE advertising your property for rental, that you contact the appropriate local entity (City of Las Vegas, City of North Las Vegas, City of Henderson, City of Boulder City or Clark County) and explain what you would like to do to make sure it conforms with that jurisdiction's ordinances. The names of the local departments that handle these inquiries vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but try Community Development, Zoning, Code Enforcement or similar departments to find the answers you need before you proceed.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 5, 2012
Hi Eddie,

You do not need a permit, but may need a waiver you plan to rent a single-family residence for a non-conforming use. For example, the property is zoned residential, but the person who wants to rent has an in-home computer repair business. That would be a non-conforming use, and would require a waiver, but not a permit. Another no-no in most jurisdictions is renting the home for less than 30 days, or for "party house" use. Dawn's examples below of non-allowable uses are very good.

If the home is located in a HOA, the HOA rules may govern rentals. If the home is a condominium, the association may limit the number of rentals in the complex to maintain quality of life and to meet government standards for originating loans. We haven't seen a complex in years that has less than the maximum number of rentals. However, there are some complexes that do not have rental restrictions.

Generally, if you're planning to rent a home to someone who is planning to live in it as a home, there is no problem. But if in an association, you must check with them.

Mike Pristow, Donna Hodge & Associates
702-604-1001
No permit is needed. Locate a few property management companies and choose one that you are comfortable with. Great question. Raina Musser
You do not need a permit to rent your home. You can manage it yourself, or you can hire a property manager to handle it for you. If you hire a property manager, they will find the renter for you, do the credit check, collect rents, etc. If you manage it yourself you can list it with an agent to find a renter and then you are on your own to manage it.
If you need any further clarification, I would be happy to speak to you.
Best of luck!
Mary Preheim
702-403-34152
marypreheim@realtyexecutives.com
http://www.ClickLasVegasHomes.com
I hereby permit you to rent without a permit-

Unless I am missing something- or if you can clarify and provide more information-

I can better answer your question-

A permit is not needed to rent your home-

1- what you need is a property manager- a property management agreement and a lease contract.
2- if you have an hoa you need to verfy that rentals are allowed-
3- you need to speak to us in person on all of the particulars.

Paul May
Web Reference: http://www.mayteamlv.com
Permit? You can rent your home anytime you want and do not need any special permits. If you need help I am a property Manager http://www.VegasRealtorJoe.com