saucebones, Renter in Burlington, NJ

How do I find a Owner that would give me a chance to rent a apt, or home. My credit is not great, but I am a great tenant.

Asked by saucebones, Burlington, NJ Sun Sep 30, 2012

Answers

3
No Bones about it!
Those who are in the business of renting their property realize most of their renters will be former home owners who completed a short sale or foreclosure. The economy has touched EVERYBODY! The perfect credit score will not arrive.
-
Here's is what you MUST do!
These home owners seeking renters LOVE CRAIGSLIST!
-
Be honest. Describe your situation .
Explain how you got into a bad credit situation. If they 'discover' before you disclose..not good.
(reduced hours, fired, illness, unexpected expense)
-
What has changed to fix or prevent that from occurring again.
(got a better job, work two jobs, reduced expenses (sold house), got jobs for the kids and mom.)
-
In most situations, an owner will be willing to give you a hand up.
Former home owners are appealing because they know what is required and will NOT park on the grass, will run the irrigation, keep the screens in and mow the grass. If you arrive in a car that hasn't been washed is six months that will communicate a different outcome for the owner and a less likely grant the move-in approval.
I generally present my "case" for tenants I represent, a cover email that tells their story and presents them in as positive a light as possible. Diane is right, you may have better luck with a rent by owner. For prooperties listed, a credit report and verification of employment are standard requirements. In fact, a rent by owner is well advised to ask for them as well, but may not. In either case, your explanation of why your credit "is not great" will be important for the landlord to understand if the circumstances that negatively impacted credit will impact your ability to pay your rent consistently and on time.

References will be important as well.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Find a for rent by owner. They generally don't check credit scores and you can wow them with your personality.
Otherwise, find an agent who is experienced in rentals who can make a landlord understand the why your credit score is not so great aspect of your life.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com