Rental Basics in 33139>Question Details

Marlene Gent…, Renter in North Shores, Miami...

How can you tell for sure if a property manager has the building treated for roaches?

Asked by Marlene Gentile, North Shores, Miami Beach, FL Wed Feb 16, 2011

Answers

7
Marlene,

We would recommend asking the building super the name of the company that provided these services and then contact them...as others have mentioned residents should have been notified.

In the event the building maintenance staff provided these services, the same notification practice should apply. It may be advisable to make the building management aware of their obligation to the residents.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
Doesn't really matter. If you have roaches, it hasn't been treated adquately. Notify the manager in writing, and then by certified mail if that doesn't work. And don't be intimidated by someone saying they are coming from your apartment! That doesn't matter either, really. Just don't get stuck in a paperwork battle. Push until the bugs are gone.
Web Reference: http://www.LindaIvell.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 29, 2011
When a building is treated the exterminators generally provide paperwork describing their scope of work along with their invoice. That is the best proof that the work has been done.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
David is right. The terminators should provide an invoice for their services performed. If you see the neighbors, you may try to ask them if they were aware of such a treatment.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
When the building was treated, the exterminators who treated the property should have provided paperwork to the owners describing what work was performed along with their invoice. Ask to take a look at the paperwork.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
Agree with most of what has been said here: 1) If you have roaches call an exterminator yourself 2) Contact property Management and demand to see the service logs, generally the exterminator companies provide a receipt of service to them
I am the person who first posted this question. All the answers were great, but my efforts to get my landlady to hire an exterminator were fruitless. In the end, I called the Code Enforcement Department of the City of Miami Beach, and an officer came and took pictures, then posted a violation notice on my landlady's door, giving her a certain amount of time to remedy the problem. I never stuck around to see if my landlady complied because I did not renew my lease with her. At least the other tenants may benefit if the landlady responds as she should, but I suspect she may call an exterminator once, then never call again. Roach infestation is rampant in North Beach, but many building owners don't care. My friend also moved from her apartment because of the roaches, and when she got to her new place, the roaches started coming out of her furniture. Unfortunately, many of the people to whom my landlady rents are not proactive. She has convinced them, "This is South Florida," and has them set off "foggers" from time to time. One gentleman said to me, "Do you cook?" I responded in the affirmative . He went on to say, "That's your problem. I have lived here fifteen years, and I don't cook. I eat out." This flawed logic allows the slum lords and ladies to get away with not providing tenants with even a minimal right to live in a decent place. The Code Officer sent me a copy of the part of the code that states that building owners must hire exterminators, provide window screens, and fix broken windows. Those were some of the challenges I had faced in that place. Since then, I've moved to an apartment that is treated monthly by an exterminator, and I don't have even one roach. What a pleasure not to have to worry about those nasty "roommates." I have been a homeowner most of my life, so renting is a new world for me, It has taught me that tenants do have rights, and, if the building owner does not offer basic living conditions, the City of MIami Beach Code Enforcement Department will help.