Rental Basics in Chicago>Question Details

Beccaj, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

How can we document the condition of the unit at the time of move-in? With pictures or in writing? Other ideas?

Asked by Beccaj, Chicago, IL Tue Apr 9, 2013

Answers

9
You can download an application called Evidence Cam. It takes pictures along with a stamped date, time and location of where the picture was taken. I would also suggest you have a licensed inspector review the home and write a formal report on the property. Your attorney will write up a formal document that will be sent to the sellers attorney documenting everything. Its very important that you have a group of professionals working on your transaction. These are people who place their license on the line to make sure you are being protected against any harm that can come your way. I hope this information helps and if you continue to have questions please feel fee to contact us.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 9, 2013
take pictures of everything and have landlord sign off on condition upon move in
Use a doc to keep track of all the conditions of each room. Take note of everything and take pics of anything you feel is worth it. I would supply this info to your landlord up front so they cant hold you accountable later on.
Lots of photos of things less than perfect and a written list that the owner and you all sign.
With pictures and video and in writing.
HD picture and video and keep it in an online file
You should do an inspection during the Attorney review time frame and make note of the condition. Then you can do a final walkthrough the day of the closing to confirm that the place is in the same condition. This is standard practice
Beccaj,

Photos are always best. Document everything. You should also document the condition of the property when you leave. Take photos of everything.
I think those two things, possibly even video.