Rental Basics in Los Angeles>Question Details

sara_shahrya…, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

How can non-US Citizens rent apartments in LA?

Asked by sara_shahryary, Los Angeles, CA Sat May 3, 2014

Hi, I'm coming to the Los Angeles as a tourist , i want to be there for 4 months. I just want to know, if i can rent an apartment only for 4 months or not, and how can i rent an apartment there without credit score? i can take my bank account turnover and balance with me. but we have not credit scoring in our country for persons.
thank you
Sara

Answers

4
Hi Sara ,

Happy Saturday !

There are many places that will rent month to month,if you are staying only 4 months you could tell the owner/property management company that you would be willing to put up a large security deposit .You should be able to find a few places,good luck !
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2014
thanks dear brad for your kind attention
one of my friends in LA advised me opening deposit account in bank with good balance at first, and show the balance to the owner, do you think it would works?
Flag Sun May 4, 2014
Sure you can, complete the rental application with the landlord and see what they say.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2014
Sara,
One last thought, be very careful you deal with legitimate landlord and owners. Scams are persistent all over this site and many others. As much as possible deal with the other party in person and confirm their status as owner or licensed agent or property manager. Under NO circumstances should you send money overseas to someone who claims to be doing charity work and promises to mail you keys back. This would be a very expensive lesson.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2014
Hi Dear Dan, Thanks a lot for telling me this valuable points, I will be careful. whats your opinion about opening deposit account in bank with good balance at first, and show the balance to the owner, do you think it would works?
Flag Sun May 4, 2014
Sara,
Potentially you can. Each landlord or property manager elects what terms they are willing to accept. Leases shorter than a year can be harder to find, and when you do they may come at a higher monthly rate than a 1 year lease would go for.
One way of offsetting the need of credit may be to pay the full lease up front. Discuss this with the property manager or owner to see if that may work for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2014