Rental Basics in Ellet>Question Details

spoiledrotte…, Renter in Akron, OH

How can I get out of my lease? My landlord only fixes things when the city threatens to lock her up...HELP

Asked by spoiledrotten_24333, Akron, OH Mon Sep 17, 2012

Upon moving here in Jan. we contacted our landlord about things that need to be fixed.Several times. After living with mold, water leaks,electrical issues etc.for several months,I contacted the city. My landlord put our house on the market and has fixed very little. I don't like people coming into my house to look to purchase it.I feel very violated!!.What can I do????

Answers

2
Good morning, you have many rights as a tenant in Ohio, here is a link that should help you understand them: http://statutes.laws.com/ohio/title53/chapter5321
You have to start making a paper trail of your contacts with the Landlord about the repairs. Write a letter, and give her a reasonable amount of time to make the repairs. If she does not, you notify her that the rent will be deposited with the court. Then you are in a better position to void the lease.
I suggest that you get legal advice on this to avoid problems, as each court seems to have its own rules about this.