Rental Basics in Long Beach>Question Details

Kb, Both Buyer and Seller in Long Beach, CA

Hi, I purchased a beach condo in Long Beach, CA in 2007 and would like to rent out my condo soon.

Asked by Kb, Long Beach, CA Thu Apr 30, 2009

I wanted to find out the legal issues associated with rental properties. I understand I would need fire/liability insurance for the renter. I am also wondering, what if, one day, I would like to move back to the condo, what kind of terms do I need to have in my lease to keep that as a possibility? My condo is my first home and I would like to keep it around as a Plan B for me. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Help the community by answering this question:


Barbara Robbins-Olexa’s answer
Hi! I have helped my clients rent their properties. I always suggest getting tenant liability coverage over and above the fire insurance you already have through your HOA. It's called Rental Condominium Unitowners Policy and I get it through State Farm. It costs me $175/a year. It even covers loss of rents, damage to the property and liability and medical payments.

If you want to be able to move back, you would need a month to month rental agreement which is what I use for most of my rentals anyway. That way if they are not happy they can leave with 30 day notice and if I am not happy I can give them a 30 day notice.

If I can answer any other questions, feel free to call me at 714-296-7270 or email me at

Barbara Robbins-Olexa
Broker, e-Pro Internet Certified, SRES(R)
L B Brokerage
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 30, 2009
I would suggest that you hire a professional lease management company. They can provide any legal advice in this area. It sounds like you need to decide when you might want to move back in. At that point you would want to have your tenant on a month-to-month lease.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 30, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer