Rental Basics in East Harlem>Question Details

Bigcitydream…, Renter in East Harlem, New York,...

Hi, I'm moving from Ohio to NYC in august/september to attend college. Will people rent to a full time student?

Asked by Bigcitydreamercliche, East Harlem, New York, NY Mon Apr 16, 2012

I would be able to show proof of my student loan that would allow me to pay for the apartment, but I won't be able to show a landlord proof of employment. Also, are any utilities usually calculated in the rental price ? And if not is there a way to know how much I should budget before I am sure where I will be living? thanks

Help the community by answering this question:


In this case you will need a guarantor with qualifying income 80 times monthly rent,good credit.If the guarantor is self employed he/she will need CPA letter.
Usually cooking gas,heat & hot water are included. Tenant is responsible for electric,cable & phone.
Best if you find a roommate. At lease signing you need to provide certified checks -one month security,first month rent and broker fee. Murray hill and Upper East have best share deals.
Close to subways,nightlife and some buildings have amenities;gym,pool,rooftop deck.
Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 23, 2012
Be aware that the Manhattan rental market is near record high rents right now, so brace yourself (and your checkbook).

Most apartments rent within 7-10 days so you can start looking in earnest in late June or July for August 1 occupancy. Current rents in East Harlem for walk up buildings I think will probably accept students with a guarantor start at around $1600-$1800/month, brokerage fee required (more about this below). Rents include heat, usually, but not electricity or cable.

Someone mentioned "tri state" or "quad state" guarantor. Some landlords will not accept your guarantors if they live in Ohio. They must live in NY, NJ, Connecticut, or perhaps Pennsylvania. The reason is, it's too hard to sue people who are too far away, from the landlord's perspective. Guarantors often need an annual gross income that is 80 times the monthly rent.. There are definitely exceptions, but this is typical.

Be watchful of scams. People can have keys to apartments, and then ask you for some cash to "hold" the apartment until tomorrow. When you come back, they are gone. If you find something that sounds great on Craig's List, you can hire a broker to investigate it for you even while you're still in Ohio. (More about brokers below.)

No one seems to have mentioned the brokerage fee so far. Many, if not most, renters find they need to secure the services of a rental broker/agent to help find an apartment.

Sometimes the agent (we call them a broker) can lead you to a "no fee" apartment, which simply means the landlord is paying for the services of the brokerage firm and the agent for you. (Don't worry, you pay for it in your rent ;) )

Without a broker, you may also find a landlord/owner with an in-house agent who is paid a salary and/or commission, or it's a small operation and the building's superintendent ("super") walks around the place with the keys as part of his job.

Otherwise an agent (we are called brokers here) will charge you, the tenant, a fee to show you apartments and to complete and file your paperwork. By law this commission is negotiable. Also by law, all brokerage fees must be disclosed at lease signing and even before, so the whole thing is transparent. There is no need to be shy about asking directly at first contact! I always tell my clients the fee situation for each individual apartment before we get there.

Because we can't discuss our rates in public, you might want to interview some agents (brokers) by phone before you arrive and find out what they charge.

Karla Harby
Licensed RE Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
New York, NY
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 19, 2012
My daughter is a studen in NYC and we had to sign up for her lease.

Irina Karan
CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Expert
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 18, 2012
Most landlords and all management companies require a guarrantor , if you are a student
. If you have a guarrantor, it should not be a problem, that is, if your guarrantor has good financials.
If not then you may have a difficult time finding a landlord or managenemt company willing to rent to you. However, you should be able to find a share, and you can also rent a room , as alternatives.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 17, 2012
Hi! It's absolutely doable. Landlords will rent an apartment to a full time student. My office works directly with landlords and we can find you the right place! Having a cosigner or a guarantor would make the process easier. Utilities usually included in the rent could be heat, gas, and hot water, even electricity, depending on the apartment. I would calculate $50/100 for extra utilities not included, depending on what you want to have (cable, phone, internet, etc)

Feel free to contact me to assist you in finding your dream home in this Big City!

Laura Thierer
Ardor New York
o: (212) 588-3000
c: (914) 426-0075
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 17, 2012
You should have no problem.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 17, 2012
I have nice apartments for students. Please contact me at 917-335-8569. My name is Erika. Thank you and good luck in college and welcome to NYC!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 17, 2012
Yes, it you pay the year up front or have a quad-state guarantor

New York
New Jersey
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
Full time students can absolutely rent an apartment in NYC, but be prepared with all your Guarantor documentation. Some owners may want a portion of the rent up front in addition to a Guarantor documentation. Your Guarantor should be making at least 60-80 times the monthly rent. Your Guarantor should be prepared to submit an emplyee letter, tax returns and recent account statements at the least. Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me at
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
Yes, you can rent in NYC if you are a full time student. Your loan may be considered your income to some landlords and you may have to pay a few extra months rent up front. A guarantor is also an option (someone who promises to pay the rent if you do not)

Please feel free to give me a call in Mid June and we can start the process as everything takes time and you will need time to get all your paperwork in order and find a suitable apartment.

Athena Pettway
Exit Realty Landmark
212-616-9888 ext 237
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
Hi Cliche. If you are doing this all on your own and you have good credit and your own money but no job, you'll probably be asked to pay many months up front plus security. You might even be asked to pay the entire year up front. Utilities are a separate charge from rent.

If your parents are going to foot the bill, they would be considered "Guarantors." They are someone who would essentially guarantee payment and would be on the legal hook as it were. They will also have to provide documents showing assets and income. They would also have their credit pulled by the landlord prior to a lease signing. PS, their income would need to be at least the equivalent of 80 times the asking rent or more if it's a high end building. You can use anyone if you need a Guarantor, not just family but they should be very well heeled.

Here's a little something to get you in the mood. Good luck.…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
Oh one other thing... there are fees required of tenants when they handle placing you. You should ask upfront is there a fee to find a successful rental? Sometimes you can negotiate this, or the owner of the building pays for you. That should be disclosed UPFRONT, so you know what to expect.

Geri DeWitt Ruby
RE/MAX Moniesworth Realty
(914) 489-1958
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
Sure! Welcome to NYC.
We rent to students all the time as long as they have a job or have guarantors.
And Some landlords may consider your loan as your salary
Utilities are most always all included except for electicity and cable.
Electricity depends on how much you use it and whether or not the heat is electric.
You can guestimate a good $150 per month extra for electric in the winter and the cable will depend on the cable company. and 4 months of air conditioning for up to $300-$400 extra per month. Again it all depends on the usage.
Best Regards and good luck!

Fern Hamberger
VP Associate broker
Citi-habitats Relocation and Corporate headquarters.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
utilities run about $60-$80/mo... if it's a coop then heat is probably included, as well as cooking, hot water. Depending on where you want to live, you can stretch your dollar by being in uptown off the express subway lines... maybe get a 2 bedroom for a 1 BR price... comparred to downtown. If you are super new to the area, then you may want to live near the school until you get a handle on the streets and how to navigate the city. The school should offer the cheapest housing, unless you are a transfer, which would mean you have to get off campus housing.

Geri DeWitt Ruby
RE/MAX Moniesworth Realty
(914) 489-1958
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
Are you going to NYU or Columbia? Either way, with a co-signer you should be able to swing it.

Geri DeWitt Ruby
RE/MAX Moniesworth Realty
(914) 489-1958
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012

Yes you can.

There is multiple solutions to that and i have experiences with Students.

Please send me an email i will be more happy to explain further.

Warmest Regards,

Raoul Sodogandji
International Market Specialist
Director of Sales and Rentals at the RS Group
Licensed Salesperson

(o): 212.252.8772 (EXT.782)
(c): 347.993.8333

"In the past, our growth has been by referral of current clients. We've never really done much marketing." Please refer us to your friends and family.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
Typically you will need to provide money upfront, either as a rent upfront or extra security (security deposit). Your credit score can be a a deciding factor also.

Overall it is realistic to get an apartment as a full time student without having a job.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
Hi Bigcitydreamer, yes landlords do rent to students, the upper east side as well as the lower east has studios/1bed spaces starting from $1445. The utilities included depending on the building could be heat, gas, electricity. Do you have a guarantor?{parents, or family members} this could be help you get accepted for an apartment just as long as your guarantor meets requirements. If you need additonal help feel free to email me at
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer