Rental Basics in Honolulu>Question Details

A Schindler, Renter in Honolulu, HI

Hello, I am reloc. to HI after living 6 yrs in Europe. We plan on buying but before that we'll rent. What are our chances to rent with no?

Asked by A Schindler, Honolulu, HI Tue Jun 21, 2011

credit score Hello,
I am relocating to HI after living 6 yrs in Europe (we owned a property before). We plan on buying a property, but until we find something that we like , we plan to rent. What are our chances to rent with no credit scores? Thank you! A. Schindler, Phd

Frank Diaz’s answer

Your chances are excellent. As long as you can provide references, I think most rental agencies or property owners would rent to you. Just be careful renting. Yesterday, a family was standing outside of a building in Waikiki. They sent money to someone for a property they found on the Internet. Turns out that person doesn't exist.

Aloha A. Schindler, most renters do not look at your credit score. They will want you to fill out an application with the right to look up the score, and it will ask financial and personel questions.

You will need references from previous land lords, income and job information and a local bank account.

Other then that it will come down to whom the owner or managment company feel the most comfortable renting to based on the questions and your meeting with them at the home.

If you have further questions your welcome to call me at 808-295-0704 or email me at

Mahalo and Aloha,

Ralph Sutton Gray
Vice President
Locally Established-Globally Connected
Luxury, Beachfront & Investment Properties
Cell 808-295-0704 Fax 808-440-7278
Executive Estates Division
Realty Executives Oahu, LLC
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 21, 2011
Hi there. As others have posted, it shouldn't bee too difficult. Many places will look at other factors, such as references and proof of ability to pay rent (and deposit). If you can give the impression of STABILITY and financial RESPONSIBILITY, you'll go a long way in overcoming any concerns of credit scores. Of course, it will all be dependent on the landlord or property, but don't let that dissuade you. Happy hunting and welcome back to the islands.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 21, 2011
Aloha A.,
My HD video tours are the way to rent or buy homes and know exactly what you are getting in to.
Find some on you tube- WikiwikiRentals. (most of these are clients homes they rent themselves, I just help them after the sale)
Do not send money prior to arriving in Hawaii to anyone except someone the organizations relocation team has cleared for you. If they do not have such a service, please give a call, I do this for a few recruitment companies and one university.
I normally only work with people buying, but we can work out how this will work for both of us. I do not want to see someone taken advantage of as their first experience in Hawaii real estate.
Please see my website for many many video blogs about Hawaii and the Real Estate market here. There are over 150+ videos on my you tube site as well. TheOahuAgent on You Tube
These Vlogs will let you see who you are working with and let you see how I do business and share my knowledge base.

Looking forward to talking via skype at your convenience.
David Nash
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 21, 2011
Dr Schindler,
As stated by Keiko & Franck, while harder to do, it will still be possible for you to rent without the credit history as long as you can prove that you have the funds and a solid source of income.
In order to save you time, I would recommend that you mention the fact to the owner or property manager at the time you are calling to make the appointment to view the property.
Good luck & welcome to Hawaii!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 21, 2011
It depends on the Property Management Company or property owner. The best way is to view the property yourself, if not have trusted friend of your choice to search the property for you. Credit check or history will be usually required, but give advance notice they may get any record of your credit, they may ask you additional financial proof, such as pay stab, bank statement, reference, etc.
I can assist you when you decide to purchase.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 21, 2011
Without a credit score, you won't be able to borrow money from lenders. My advice to you is to apply for at least two different credit cards as soon as possible when you land. Make use of your credit cards for most of your purchases and schedule electronically to pay them off as they become due or pay monthly, but more than the minimum. When renting, most rental agencies will also require a good credit score. If no credit score, you might now be able to rent a place that you like. What I will do is, be upfront with the property owners and rental agents first by letting them know of your situation, you never know some kind hearted person may waive the credit score requirement. Strive to keep their trust, by paying them cash their first month's rent and security deposit, then keep up the standard for the duration of your rental contract period. I encountered a similar situation 3 months ago, and I am very pleased that they performed as agreed.
Dr. Schindler,
It is totally possible to rent your new apartment or home without a credit history. However, you must provide references and more importantly the ability to pay via proof of employment, cash in the bank, or cash in advance. In terms of purchasing in the US, it is possible with approximately 30 to 35% down based on your credit in your present country. There are banks here in the US that will take your overseas credit and lend you a mortgage.

If you are interested in luxury high end condos in waikiki or more moderately priced units in East Oahu, please do not hesitate to contact me for your rentals. If you are looking to purchase, I would be a valuable resource and it would be my pleasure to assist you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm aloha,

Christine Kim, J.D. (R) SFR

President/Principal Broker

H2O Watermark Pacific Properties LLC

Hawaii Homes to Opportunities

Direct Fax: 888-790-3012

1888 Kalakaua Ave. C-312

Honolulu, HI 96815
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 10, 2011