Rental Basics in 29607>Question Details

Tracey M, Other/Just Looking in Greenville, SC

Have rented my house out for last 6 years in Greenville. Any advice on what I can do to keep it looking good - cost effective?

Asked by Tracey M, Greenville, SC Mon Dec 3, 2012

Answers

7
pslusher57’s answer
Rent to a family like ours if at all possible. Neat, clean, organized. very respectful of other people's property, a contractor with 30+ yrs experience with maintaining and repairing properties, able and willing to do all repairs in exchange for part of rent. Excellent references. Have done rentals myself in the past, so I know how challenging renting can be. .Presently looking for 1900+ sq ft home in the Greenville,SC area. Thank you. 864 387 9068
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2012
I suggest stipulating a cleaning/light repairs deposit in the rental agreement, or budgeting part of the rental income every month for cleaning/light repairs. This could cover fresh paint and carpet shampooing, etc, and larger things like replacing carpet over time.
Keeping the house clean and fresh is important to get the highest possible rent income.
Watch HGTV and follow practical people who know real estate.

Take care of the highest quality tenants and don't get lazy. Were you ever in the military? Think along the lines of "signing off" every time you complete a tenant walkthrough.

Would you sign off on the crawlspace or attic today? How about the trees?

Etc. etc. etc...

You might wanna hire an inspector and get a valid opinion with a thorough, visual report.

Finally, follow cost vs. value principles when renovating - check the web reference.
regular maintenance with curb appeal very important, pest control inspections. If pets are inlcuded, make regular inspections with 24 hr notice to check for carpet issues if carpet in place. Keep a preventative maintenance list of items to check consistently.
Absolutely. Keeping the inside and outside clean and tidy makes a huge difference. If you ent to do more, I'd suggest a fresh coat of paint and cleaning the carpets. And by all means, keep up wih regular maintenance- it makes a difference.

Hi Tracey,

Start by keeping it clean....it doesnt come much cheaper than soap and water. Its surprising how many owners skip over that most vital step....just making sure the outside gets cleaned once or twice a year makes such a drastic difference.