Rental Basics in Brooklyn>Question Details

Unspecified, Renter in

Full time grad student. Would it be possible to get an apt without a co-signer/guarantor? Would a bigger deposit help my chances?

Asked by Unspecified, Thu Jan 31, 2013

Answers

4
Tammy Benkwitt’s answer
Do you have income and savings somewhere? A landlord needs assurance that the rent will be paid on a timely basis. That's why a co-signer is usually required. If you have sufficient assets to guarantee the rent and can show it on paper, maybe you have a chance? What's wrong with getting a co-signer? Even home buyers need one occasionally.

Sincerely good luck with your studies. Education is hard enough without having to worry about housing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2013
I'm not working. I've taken student loans. How much savings would be enough? People tend to not want to co-sign in general. So I'm trying to do this on my own and yes, trying to find an apartment right now is stressful with my school workload, but it's necessary :(.
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013
Hi. Yes sometimes paying 3-12 months upfront may work. It depends on a couple of factors. Doy you have established credit? Do you have references from previous landlords? I would be happy to discuss this with you in greater detail. You can reach me via phone/text at 917-231-5777 or email lily@rapidnyc.com.
Much will depend on the individual landlord....
In al;l reality, nothing is written in stone. One person can get an apartment totally different than another, it to the descretion of the landlord.
Here are the best guidlines to get a rental here:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/luke_constantino/2012/07/how_to_r…

And yes, you can get an apartment without a grantor. Give me a call anytime. The advice is free. :)

Cell# 212 300 3919

Luke Constantino
REMAX NEW YORK
(212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
261 4th Avenuue, Brooklyn NY 11215