Rental Basics in Kissimmee>Question Details

Jamie, Other/Just Looking in Kissimmee, FL

FLORIDA RENTAL/LEASE QUESTION: Is a rental agreement/lease valid if the terms under which it was signed, were deceptive?

Asked by Jamie, Kissimmee, FL Mon Nov 16, 2009

I live in Florida. I signed a 1 yr. lease and later found out that the homeowner did not disclose to me that she had stopped paying the mortgage 3 months BEFORE I signed a 1 year lease. She even said that she has no intentions of keeping the property. I feel I was decieved and that the lease should not even be valid. I want my security deposit back but was told no. There is a property manager involved who has my lease in an escrow account. Is this a valid lease if the terms on which it was signed were deceptive in the 1st place?

Answers

1
I would consult a real estate attorney but if there is wording in the lease which states change of ownership can occur (it is in PA lease via PAR) then they can sell the property but the lease is still good.

Your best bet is to consult an attorney as to what you signed and they can go over the paperwork.

Sean Dawes
Web Reference: http://www.SeanDawes.com