Rental Basics in New York>Question Details

Unspecified, Renter in Queens, NY

Does the Trulia website verify agents/brokers/renters before allowing them to post a listing on here? How do I know if I am about to be scammed?

Asked by Unspecified, Queens, NY Thu Sep 20, 2012

Answers

3
If you are referring to rentals--even though for sale by owner posts are not allowed, for rent by owner posts are; therefore not all rentals seen on this site may be listed with a broker. For information relating to rentals scams see link http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt002.shtm
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 21, 2012
Yes, Suzanne is correct & believe Trulia posts my license number as well..
You can always ask to see the realtors' license when you meet them. Here in New Jersey you can look us up on line on the Department of Banking and Insurance's website. In New York you can look them up here: https://appsext7.dos.ny.gov/nydos/selSearchType.do

In general, when renting, NEVER wire money anywhere. Insist on meeting the owner, or their licensed realtor, face to face and pay using certified or bank checks. Check the property tax records to be sure the person you meet actually owns the property. Be especially careful if you are using craigs list, as much as the administrators there try, they are frequently used to con artists. And if someone says they were recently transferred to some foreign country for their job, or because they are missionaries of some sort, and please fill out this application then wire the money to some bank account in another country, just run as fast as you can in the opposite direction! And, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, be very, very cautious.
Thank you to everyone above. You've been very helpful I am trying to find out how to verify if a Patrick Green is legitimately posting an apartment in Georgetown Plaza (60 East 8th Ave Apt 402). He states he is the manager and Dawn M. Mutchler is the landlord. He is very likely to be a scammer and I will report him, however this verification process is also very difficult. Any tips on that?
Flag Fri Sep 21, 2012