mrenter, Renter in New Haven County, CT

Does it make sense for a landlord to ask for first month's rent and two months security before moving in?

Asked by mrenter, New Haven County, CT Wed Nov 21, 2012

I'm in CT. I've heard of a landlord wanting, first, last and security deposit, but never first month and then TWO months rent for a security deposit. Is this typical?

Answers

4
It makes a LOT of sense, especially if you are the landlord! The "two months security" are actually the last month's rent and one month security. Let's just say your tenant hasn't kept up his place that well, and knows he's not getting his security back. He may also choose to skip out on his last month's rent saying, "well, he has my security payment and I'm not getting it back, so he can just use it for my last month's rent". Now the landlord is out the last month's rent, plus the damages to the unit. So collecting the full amount he is entitled to collect under the tenant-landlord law only limits his losses. He still has to repair the unit, shampoo and paint as needed, and has a vacant apartment while this work is being done. All the while, he must maintain his own mortgage payment on the building.
Does it make sense- you bet and apparently in Connecticut it's legal based on the response of local Realtors from CT.

The difference monetarily between first, last and 1 months security and first and 2 months security is nil, the legal difference is it puts you in a position of having more skin in the game which I'm sure is designed to discourage tenants from damaging the property their renting.
It is not uncommon, however, it doesn't matter what it is called, holding 2 months rent is all considered security. Calling it last month's rent doesn't change anything. CT law states that the most a landlord can require and hold is 2 month's rent, regardless of what it is called.

Dan Ross
Yes in Connecticut Landlords are allowed up to two months rent as security deposits. This limit is reduced to one month's rent if a tenant is 62 years of age or older.
See two helpful links below.

http://www.ct.gov/dob/cwp/view.asp?a=2247&q=299050&d…

http://www.dmkpropertymanagementllc.com/pages/Resources