Rental Basics in 11206>Question Details

sarag17, Real Estate Pro in Brooklyn, NY

Does anyone know how much a landlord in Brooklyn, NY 11206 is legally allowed to charge me if I need to end my lease early?

Asked by sarag17, Brooklyn, NY Sun Dec 15, 2013

Answers

5
Dear sarag17:

It depends on the verbiage in the lease itself. Your best bet would be to talk to a landlord tenant attorney to find out your legal rights.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales/ e-Pro Realtor
Fillmore Real Estate
Office: (718) 252-2000/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 15, 2013
Hi Sarag17 -
after you read all the FINE PRINT ...normally you are responsible for the full term. However, what is your reason for ending your lease. Is it a good one? Did you lose your job? You could ask them directly, maybe they will negotiate with you.It never hurts to ask...
otherwise follow everything else that was mentioned by my fellow co-agents.
good luck
Read the lease thoroughly and carefully. Some leases are in plain english and not too difficult to understand. Look for the term, month to month or annual. look for Notices, Termination clauses. For annual lease, if there is no provision for early termination, tenant is responsible for full 12 months' payment unless the landlord is at fault. Typically, if you can find a replacement tenant acceptable to landlord, you are off the hook. For free legal help, go to Brooklyn Housing Court.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 15, 2013
Review your lease agreement, the answer more than likely can be found in the document; for any necessary legal advice consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate.....
A lease is a legal contract. Under the normal terms of a lease, the tenant is responsible for paying rent for the full term. You can mitigate the landlord's loss by finding a qualified replacement tenant.