Rental Basics in 60090>Question Details

Jennie560, Home Buyer in Island Lake, IL

Do all landlords do credit check?

Asked by Jennie560, Island Lake, IL Thu Sep 9, 2010

I am going through a divorce and have to file bankruptcy. I have two jobs and child support whcih a total of 2800 a month.

Answers

10
Gerard Dunn’s answer
Most will. Write a letter explaining your situation - and be sure to have written documentation to support your claims. You may find a landlord that will be empathetic.

Gerry Dunn
Associate Broker
Licensed in Maryland, Virginia and D.C. - 28 Years

Gerry@MyPotomac.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 10, 2010
Yes - most landlords, if not all, do check credit. However, perfect credit is not always what they are looking for. Job Stability and income play a big part. Bankruptcy does sometimes throw up red flags, but it is more common lately. Usually, they are just looking for someone who pays their bills on time.

Often, if you offer to direct deposit your rent, it may be something they consider over other candidates. Any kind of secured payment arrangement can outweigh credit issues.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 9, 2010
Jennie560 sorry to hear about your difficulties that you are going thru. Landlords' biggest concern is to make sure that the potential tenant will pay the rent and on time, hence most will do a credit check. There are ways you can mittigate the damage. Bring a copy of your credit check with a letter of explanation and offer a larger security deposit or offer to pay extra months in advance as a sign of good intention and maybe the potential landlord will have a soft spot for your dillema.
Endre Barath,Jr.
homes@endrebarath.com
Web Reference: http://www.endrebarath.com
Jennie:

Landlords all do credit checks, but the number one thing is to be open and honest with the landlord from the get go. Now, this may not always work, but I am sure you will find a compassionate land lord willing to work with you. We are in a very tough economic climate and people need a place to live. Best
Although many do, all don't. I have friends and relatives whom have been burned by former tenants--some of whom were even other family members--whenever they didn't do a background and/or credit check.

Explain your situation, and don't lie or embellish the truth. I work with tenants like you all of the time, and I know other investors who also would work with you provided you tell the truth.

Also, keep in mind that many landlords are aware of the current economic times; many people are getting displaced from their homes due to foreclosure, and they need to live somewhere. Most potential tenants, like you, will probably have some dings on their credit, so you're certainly not alone.
Wow, sorry for your divorce man and your child support. First off, I know its real rough right now. Not only you have to concentrate on keeping your job, but you need to find a place to stay. Like others are saying, explain your situation to the landlord and let them know how long you been on your job for, your current pay, if you have any kinda of reserves like a 401K or something like that. Also, you can use the bk to your advantage since the only debt you really have now is your child support.

Put a higher deposit down that might a good option too.

Good Luck and I hope everything works out with you.

Sameer
Credit check and background checks. That 's the only way to shield themselves from potential problems down the road. I agree. Be honest. Explain your position why you're in this predicament. A lot of them are quite reasonable and understanding.
The landlord (and/or the agent representing the landlord) will run a credit & background check 99% of the time...if you have poor credit, just be honest & explain the situation.
Smart landlords do a credit (and background) check before having someone sign a lease to rent their property.
Most landlords are doing credit checks.