Rental Basics in Atlanta>Question Details

Holly, Renter in Atlanta, GA

DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START...Relocating to Atlanta from California, around mid-October, what areas should I look at for housing?

Asked by Holly, Atlanta, GA Thu Sep 1, 2011

I will be working downtown ATL, so I am looking for something with a reasonable commute, I have 2 young kids, so school also matter to me. I would prefer a 3 bedroom/2bath loft, townhouse or condo, looking to keep my monthly rent around 1400max. I have never been to Atlanta, so I am very unfamiliar with the area, and have become very overwhelmed with all the information on the web. I appreciate any information that can be provided to me.

Answers

11
Greta Thomas’ answer
Hi Holly, I know how hard it is for you when you are not familiar with the area you are relocating. There are several neighborhood in downtown that are great, for instance, Inman Park, Virginia Highland, Morningside, Grant Park, Kirkwood, etc.. I am assuming the most important to you are good schools and not too far of a distance from where you will be working. I suggest that you rent somewhere first for a short period like 6months to a year and then once you get to know Atlanta you will find the ideal place. I really think you should go ahead and find a real estate professional who will represent you and assist you with your needs. You have such fine real estate agents at Trulia to pick from. Good Luck with your move!
Greta Thomas
Broker Associate
If you are working downtown there is no better neighborhood for you than Grant Park. It is very family friendly and your commute will be 10 minutes (including parking). I found the house below just googling. I'm not sure if these owners will consider renting, with the market you should consider buying anyway. The agent may be able to find you a rental. I lived in GP for 5 years before being transferred overseas to Dublin a year ago. I'm planning a move back to Atlanta when my assignment is complete in another year and Grant Park is the only neighborhood I'd consider.

http://grantparkhouse.blogspot.com/
I think that you should seek out a townhouse rental in the Teasley elementary school district of Smyrna, a townhouse rental inside the city limits of Decatur, or possibly a condo rental in one of the city of Atlanta's better elementary school districts like Morningside, Mary Lin, or Springdale Park.
Hi, You can visit http://www.homefair.com and check out their side by side comparison feature for any area. All you do is type in two zipcodes you want to compare and it will give you very detailed info on those areas. Anything from crime stats, to area demographics.

Chris
Looks like you have a pretty good start to me! You know what you want, you have a budget in mind and know where you need to be every day... Now all you need is a little bit of elbow grease to do some poking around and figure out what is available that meets that criteria.. That's where a good real estate agent comes in.. You're half way home!
Hello Holly, I agree with the all the answers, they all make sense, In case you decide to live in Cobb County I have a great twonhome for 1300, it is at East/West connecter close to all shoppings and schools. If you would like to see some pictures please click on my page and then rental. Welcome to Atlanta! and good luck.
Holly,

As noted below, you have plenty of options, and yes Atlanta, like any big city can be overwhelming. I suggest you interview a couple of real estate agents to see who can serve your needs best. Many factors go into finding the location where you will be happiest. A good real estate professional will know what questions to ask in order to find you the most satisfying situation. I have lived very near downtown for 19 years, so I believe I can offer you some valuable insights. Give me a call at 404-425-4945 if I can help.
I guess I would begin by asking what are the most important values to you because you will most likely have to make value decisions and sacrifice one value over another. Is your commute time the most important? Or is it schools? Or cost? How do you define a reasonable commute? Being from California you may think that reasonable is 60 min. drive or less. I think you'll find ATL traffic to be comparable or not as bad as Cali depending upon where you live there. Would you like a suburban location or is city living an option? There are a lot of questions you would need to answer in advance before any good agent can assist you in determining where to live, otherwise many will just guide you in directions of their own personal preference rather than custom fit your searches of homes to live in based upon your values and needs. Try to answer some of these questions and you will see some very good guidance come through from several agents on here that are very knowledgeable and customer service oriented. It's all about you! Good luck.
Hello Holly, well there are a lot of great areas here in Atlanta. I specialize in rentals and two areas that most of my relocated clients ask for is, Gwinnett County and Cobb and also Fayette. Also give in account of your commute to and from work.
Please forward me your email and I would love to send you some homes. Good Luck
Doing a quick property search, Holly, there are over forty homes on FMLS that meet your criteria. If you would like for me to send you electronic flyers of these properties, please forward me your email address and I will get them over ASAP. When you'd like to see some in person, please call, email or text and I will arrange the viewings. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.georgiamls.com/agentsite/index.cfm?SiteID=HAMMONDJOHNM

http://www.chapmanhallprofessionals.com
Hello Holly! Thank You for your inquiry & welcome to Atlanta! I'd be pleased to help you & have several ideas in mind to fit your 'wants/needs' as you outlined these.

Please feel free to call or email me so we can get started!

C/404 234 9418
Email: beppy@kw.com

I look forward to your reply & to working w/you!

Sincerely
Beppy Walton
Web Reference: http://www.beppyshomes.com