Rental Basics in Riverside>Question Details

tdrew, Renter in Riverside, CA

Compensation for R/E agent?

Asked by tdrew, Riverside, CA Mon Aug 27, 2012

We were searching for an apt. for lease with a real estate agent and not seeing anything that really knocked our socks off. Then we saw a house for rent through a leasing only agency that was stunning. This house was not on MLS, and only renting through the local leasing agency. The R/E agent probably spent around 6 hours or more hours with us showing us places and I want to compensate her for her time and effort. What would be a fair amount?

Answers

4
First of all, the fact that you are concerned about being fair to your agent is HUGE!
We need more clients like you!

Unless you have a rep agreement in place for your lease search , you are most likely not obligated to pay anything.

If I was the agent , it would be nice to get a hand written thank you card, a gas card to refill my tank ....and maybe even a referral or two down the road!

You would not believe the lack of gratitude agents receive ....your a good person and a dying breed.

All my best.

Jory Blake
951.742.3751
Web Reference: http://www.JORYBLAKE.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
Hi Tdrew,

How nice of you to think of the time and effort your Agent put into finding you a home. I normally don't do rentals, but it just so happens I'm in the middle of helping a client find a home to rent right now. Before I would not have had any idea how much we Agent's would get for compensation on representing our clients on a rental, but now I do. The average compensation offered is $200-$300 flat rate. There are some as low as $75 (which by the way is the one my clients choose LOL) and as high as $500 but that's extremely rare. I saw several for the $200 amount more than any other amounts offered. I hope this helps you and God bless you for your consideration to your hard working Agent. As you can see the compensation isn't much so she/he was probably doing it to help out some good people, You! So when you go to buy a home remember the Agent who helped you out :-) Enjoy your new rental!

Grace
Grace Rosenberger
lyonrose1@hotmail.com
DRE #01295350
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Thumbs up to Jory Blake!
I think that any agent would be happy with Jory's suggestion of compensation. We as agents know that we won't have access to every rental available to you and I for one would never want to keep you from finding the best place for you and your family. So of course when you find the right place you need to take advantage of that and remember to simply refer the Realtor that helped you along the way to anyone that you come across that may be ready to buy or sell real estate.
Also......for your sake, keep in close touch with that agent and get constant advice on when would be the right time for you to buy and make sure that you go through that agent then.
None of us get rich assisting people on a rental, but we do it to make sure that you are being taken care of and then holding onto you as a client and referral partner down the road!

As stated by all of the agents responding, you are a rare treat of a client.
Good luck to you in your future endeavors with your agent!

Leanne Austin
dre 01444578
951.205.2675
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
That is really nice you want to give her something. If she were to represent you it is usually 3% of one years lease. (i.e. $2000 a month x 12 = $24,000 x 3% = $720) Based off that you can pay her what you think seems fair.
Thanks for your answers, Laura and Jory! We're giving her the full $800 commission. I can afford it and it's a tough market so I'm very happy to be able to spread some good will in a community I will be part of.
Flag Mon Aug 27, 2012