Rental Basics in Houston>Question Details

Roy, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

Can someone give me an approximate breakdown of the voucher value that section 8 tenants receive from HUD?

Asked by Roy, Houston, TX Thu May 24, 2012

In other words, what is the average voucher value for:
- single person
- family of 2
- family of 3
- family of 4

Does HUD determine the voucher value based on the location as well?
Is it based on the State/City/County/Subdivision/etc..?

I am located in Houston, TX
I am interested in purchasing investment properties (in Houston, TX) and turning them into section 8 rentals.
From what iv'e heard it might be a problem for some section 8 tenants to cover the difference between the HUD voucher and the rental costs, i am trying to figure out in how many cases the HUD voucher can actually cover 100% of the rent.

Answers

1
Randa’s answer
The voucher is based on the client income and it goes by the bedroom size. The location is does not matter but I've been told that Harris Co. voucher is slightly higher than City of Houston voucher. The typical 3 bedroom voucher is about 1,000-1,100 per month, more bedrooms more money. There are some clients that can pay their portion and some that can't. I would verify their income and go from there. The tenant should try to stay within the income guidelines.