kanucmenow, Renter in Annandale, VA

Can my landlord raise my rent based on the cost of electricity when all utilities are INCLUDED in rent according to my lease? Ty, Annandale,VA

Asked by kanucmenow, Annandale, VA Sat Jan 18, 2014

Answers

8
I've seen leases that say all utilities are included but somewhere in the fine print there is a limit to how much you can actually use or a charge for "excessive use". Check your lease.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
(619) 929-0105
RealEstate@JRThrasher.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 18, 2014
there is no "excessive use" and there is nothing in the lease that specifies this. The landlord is actually angry because I told him he spends too much time trying to be involved in my life. I believe he is simply trying to retaliate...
Flag Sat Jan 18, 2014
Yes they can if it's in the contract. If you are on a month to month they can as well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 18, 2014
Yes; I Can See You Now!

All utilities can be a very vague and misleading phrase; In todays world of technology and enterprise - for example - you could elect to have several "utilities". Typically- when all utilities are included in rent; it is to include electric, gas for heating and cooking, water, trash removal, pest-control, lawn care and others.

Perhaps Internet Access is also a "utilitty". Commonly when there is ONE meter for Gas and Electric, in a multi-family dwelling- all utilities are included. As mentioned before- by Larry, Sue-Ellen, Gustavo and Barbara... Your lease agreement should specifically say how and IF an increase in rent is handled under the circumstances.
Review the lease, the terms in the lease are what is agreed upon.
It will all depend what your lease states. You should review it prior to contacting your landlord. Some agreements allow a change with a 30 day notice, others make changes on the year anniversary of the lease. The answers are in YOUR lease
Check your lease for the specific language related to utilities; it may permit the landlord to do this but unless there is specific language to this effect, then the answer is no and you'll have to point out to your landlord that the lease doesn't permit this. But you want to be sure of what the lease says before you confront your landlord.
Only if it is in your lease agreement - what does your lease say? Read it carefully as that is where you will most likely find the answer you seek.
If your unit is in San Francisco, the answer would be no unless they filed a petition ith the Rent Board. San Francisco's Rent Ordinance only allows certain % increase a year and does not allow you to change the financial structure of the lease. Excessive use of electricity could be part of the basis of seekigng an increases operating and maintence rent increase, but the Rent Board must approval.

Jeff Woo, Esq.
Cooper, White & Cooper
Complex Rental Property Group
woo@mypropertyrights.com
That is insane. Another liberal response to irresponsible actions by people. If one is a heavy user of electricity, then they should be paying the cost, not the landlord or other tenants. It is too bad that cities set up "rent boards" and other bureaucratic offices to administer things that are usually well dealt with in state law already.
This does NOTHING but increase the costs to every citizen of the area.
Flag Sun Aug 23, 2015