Rental Basics in San Pedro>Question Details

Femalealchem…, Other/Just Looking in San Pedro, CA

Can my friends land-lord kick me off the property and threaten to have me arrested even if my friends rent is paid & has no complaints?

Asked by Femalealchemist, San Pedro, CA Tue Sep 13, 2011

I have recently moved out of an apt. that i was sub-renting w/o the owners/realtors consent. During this process a neighbor/friend offered to store some of my belongings since I'm not mobile. I technically do not live here, however I stop by daily to organize/condense my belongings. There is 1 tenant particularly who has a problem with me visiting the building. She threatens to call the police everytime she sees me and even went so far as to make up a nasty lie to the police about me hoping to set me up, ( that I endangered her children, which she no longer has custody of or ever have been sighted on the premisis mentioned above,nor whom I've ever met).

Answers

5
Before you go to the expense of retaining counsel you may want to tune into "Handle On The Law" and ask Bill Handle what he thinks. It's free legal advice and usually very good. He can be reached at 1800 520-1KFI. It's AM 640 on your dial. I'd definitely start there.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
This seems like a complicated story and the details are limited. I am not an attorney and I cannot give legal advice. As a manager of many apartment buildings I have run into situations where additional occupants are living at the property without owner approval which was specifically not allowed and written into the lease.

Your friend should check the lease regarding "house guests" and visitors. If the owner feels like you are living at the property ( if that is a violation of the lease) then the owner might serve your friend, the tenant, a 3-day-notice to cure or quit. The rules vary from city-to city and different leases prohibit different things.

If an owner or a neighboring tenant feels threatened or is suspicious of any illegal activity by anyone at the property (a daily visitor, a neighbor, etc..) then they can always call the police. It will be up to the police whether or not an arrest takes place, not the owner or neighbor.

Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company
Wellman Property Management, Inc.
http://www.jessica.ismyreagent.com
Direct (310) 828-3132
DRE License # 01894323
If your things are there, some would say you have tenants rights... however this is defiantely a legal question, you can start by going to google and typing in CA landlord tenant laws to read up on the law good luck working things out
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
I am not an attorney but in my experience I have seen landlords be able to evict if you are not on the lease and never authorized to stay there.
My friend is an attorney if you need one, link below.
This is more of a legal question and not really something we deal with.