jrock28, Renter in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Can i receive my prorated rent and deposit back?

Asked by jrock28, Fort Lauderdale, FL Tue Sep 18, 2012

I signed a lease on a Saturday 9/15/12 and i didn't stay in the unit on Saturday or Sunday because i didn't feel safe, i turned the keys in on Monday. Am i entitled to my prorated rate for the month and my deposit back?

Answers

6
Yvonne Biederman’s answer
This all depends on the type of person the landlord or property manager is and how your lease is worded. Most likely there will be a monetary penalty- I would think the deposit at a minimum.
Can you help the landlord find another tenant? If they lease the unit again, quickly, there would be no loss of income. Whew....as you can see there is not easy answer.
PS- always drive by a prospective home both day and night (a weekend night is even better!)
Yvonne Biederman, Broker, CRS, CAM
THE TENANT'S ADVOCATE
SunCoast Realty Investments, Serving Broward County, FL
954-927-0018 (M-F 9-6pm; Sat 10-6pm)
Since you had received the keys I must assume that the lease was signed and completed. You will likely have a tough fight to get your money back. Landlord may even sue you as you broke the lease. Best bet is to get legal advice. See if you can find a tenant advocacy group that could help.
This could be sticky. Technically, an legal agreement is not binding until it is fully signed by all parties and delivered. If you, as the tenant, rescinded your offer to lease before the property manager signed the leasing agreement and delivered it to you, then you might be in a position to show that the lease was not valid.
The property manager didn't sign the lease until today. I turned the keys in on Monday.
I wouldn't be suprised if the landlord contends that you should've investigated the safeness or lack thereof of the subject property before entering into a contract to rent that property.
Sounds like you broke a lease. Read the contract, review any documentation the property manager may have signed as an agreement with you.