Rental Basics in Saint Paul>Question Details

AshG, Renter in Saint Paul, MN

Can an Apt leasing company ask for bank & credit card names, account #'s & balances in an online application.....with no password or privacy statement

Asked by AshG, Saint Paul, MN Mon Sep 9, 2013

Moving from out of state and have lived in apartments throughout country. No applications have asked for my bank accounts and credit card accounts. They did ask for SS# and other info to do any background check, credit check, and rental history check. We were also surprised it was asked for in a non-password online software and that there was no privacy policy. Is this normal in MSP/Minnesota? We called to explain why we wouldn't include such information in our application and they said it was ok. But it's taking them too long to approve the application, whilst they already accepted the $300 deposit more than two days after they received the application. Thanks you!

Answers

4
Susan Hofflander’s answer
Hi, AshG!
It seems a little out of line to me. I would keep calling in person until you get some answers. If you don't get any satisfaction, call the state of MN Attorney General's office. I would just hate to see you be defrauded.

Most likely: Yes. They can ask. Well, in fact, we know they can ask. Your question seems to be whether they can ask on a site that may not be secure. Probably yes.

You can decline to provide that information online, as you did. And they can decline to accept you.

And more specifically: How did you plan on sending that information? By mail? Fax? Are those any more secure? Not necessarily. And that only protects the transmission. Once your information arrives--whether by a web form, mail, or fax--you have no control over how the recipient will handle or protect it.

I'm guessing that they have a way of doing business, of processing applications. You're asking for an exception, a different way of handling that. At the very least, you've disrupted their process. At worst, you've pegged yourself (in their eyes) as a trouble-maker--someone who's starting raising issues even before the application's been approved.

Understand: I appreciate your concern. It's not out of line. But they have their way of processing applications, and you've decided to seek another way. There's a risk to that.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I would guess this is an internal policy. This is not the standard.

How did it go?

Better question... When are you ready to buy in St. Paul? HUD homes and bank owned properties are still selling for less than what any traditional sale.
AshG,

I don't think you are dealing with a MN thing, this is probably more of an issue with this specific company. If you truly are as appaulled as you seem, I'm curious why you would continue to want to so business with them.

Cameron Piper
Keller Williams Premier Realty
612-839-4202
Web Reference: http://www.CamPiper.com