Rental Basics in Chicago>Question Details

Eli, Renter in Chicago, IL

Can I get my money back?

Asked by Eli, Chicago, IL Sat Jul 28, 2012

i signed a lease on Jult 27th that begins august 1st. on july 28th i decided i didnt want it. can i get my money back?

Answers

9
Suzanne Hamilton’s answer
As said. The lease is a legal contract. You should never enter into this kind of commitment unless you are sure. But you can try to talk to the owner and make a deal. Otherwise, they can sue you for the entire lease money, not just the money you spent so far.

In exchange for the release of lease, you may need to forfeit your security. You can get a lawyer to help you, but making an agreement with the owner and getting it in writing is the best suggestion.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
I got my money back with the exception of the non refundable move in fee. There were many problems with the apartment that were not fixed as they said they would be. Oh yeah, and there is a mouse in the building.
Well...what happenned? Were you able to get your money back? If so, what did you do?
Call the owner and see if you can work something out.
Probably not. A lease is a legal, binding contract. You could lose out on any money you have put down and the Landlord can legally sue you for the 12 months worth of rent if you don't move in.

Contact him/her asap and ask if you can break the lease. If you can't move because of a job loss or some other good reason and they can rent it to someone else, they may let you out of it. But since August 1st is right around the corner you may be out of luck.

Hopefully you can work this out on your own but you should also contact an attorney just to be safe. Good luck!
get a agent to help you..you can not by yourself
Yikes, is right. You definitely should consult a lawyer for advice on this one. If you new landlord has a solid lease, he could not only keep what you have put down so far, but you would most likely be held responsible for the monthly rent for the remainder of the Lease or until the place is re-rented. It all depends on what your lease says. A lawyer would be able to advise you further and may be able to help you out of that situation. But remember "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." Sometimes explaining your situation and asking very nicely first is is the best option. If they don't let you out, politely let them know that you need to consult a lawyer before you take possession or discuss anything further.
I doubt it. If you gave first month and security you will most lilely lose that.
Yikes, that is a legal question. Read the lease, but you can ask the landlord asap and if he says yes, get it in writing, but ask an attorney and they do not respond on Trulia