Dal, Renter in Greenville, SC

Can I file a complaint against a property manager because of procedural issues?

Asked by Dal, Greenville, SC Thu Mar 1, 2012

I was due to move into a rental property(Cypress Cove, Greenville SC) on 2/18/12 and on 2/17/12 received a voice mail that the property would not be ready due to the maintence man quitting "that day" and not completing the repairs. I had given my deposit a month prior and had been told by the manager we could move in prior to the 18th if we wanted. When I requested back my deposit, she advised if we still would take the rental the would give us 1/2 off March rent. We said ok and scheduled to move in March 3 with a promise there would be no problems brcause they were going to hire a service to get the house ready. I just followed up to make sure all was ok and was told "As long as all the work is complete we could move in". We have not even seen or been in the house we are to live in because She says the law prohibits her from letting us into an "Unsafe" house. She won't give the property management full name only says they are managed by Palmetto. This is the Palmetto state.

Answers

2
Huh, sounds like you're getting the run around! I don't know of any laws that prevent you from going into an unsafe house. While I am a licensed realtor, I DO NOT have a property managers license. I've shown property listed in MLS "Enter at your own risk" as it was a handy man special. If I can walk into a new construction neighborhood with a buyer without hard hats on, I don't see why you couldn't go see the home. It sounds like they've had PLENTY of time to remedy the situation. If you ask for your money back, they need to give it back. I've had a property management company here in the charleston area treat my clients the same way, and I fought for them to put my clients in a hotel because the home wasn't ready due to their neglect. Unless there's an underlying circumstance that you're not aware of, they are not treating you professionally. If all else fails, a property manager in the state of South Carolina is required to be licensed with the Real Estate Commission in Columbia and if you feel you need to you can file a complaint with the board, as we are all held to certain guidelines and governing laws. Good Luck!
It's America, you can sue or file complaints against anyone for anything. Will you win anything is the bigger question and I doubt anyone here could answer that one. Sometimes you have to roll with the punches.