Rental Basics in 30188>Question Details

Kj78, Home Owner in Woodstock, GA

Can I deduct the listed re-key fee from the tenant's deposit only if they do not turn in keys OR can I do so in general at the lease's end?

Asked by Kj78, Woodstock, GA Tue Jul 17, 2012

I am a homeowner in Woodstock, GA. I leased my home out for 2 years. That time frame is over, and I am doing a moveout inspection with the tenants tonight. I have a question about the security deposit. My realtor who helped with the initial rental used the GA Assoc of Realtors form F40. Section 8E seems to state that we would deduct the listed amount for re-keying the locks upon the end of the lease. Section 21A seems to imply that this is to be deducted only if they don't return the keys. Which is the case?

Answers

5
It depends if the amount is printed into your lease to rekey even if they do turn the keys in on time and this paragraph was initialed and or signed by the tenant. Anything you deduct from the security deposit should be accompanied with a real invoice and copy of your payment and sent to the tenant within 30 days or less depending on your state laws.
Both. If you decide to rekey the house, you can charge them the fee of rekeying and deduct from their security deposit. I have some landlords that change the key everytime a tenant moves out and I have some who do not. I always suggest to rekey the house because you never know who the tenants have given a key to. I have a reliable locksmith that will rekey your house very reasonable. Usually runs $75 depending on how many locks he has to rekey.
Donna-
Thanks so much for your response. I will definitely want to re-key, so it would be great if you could let me know the locksmith that you suggested.
Flag Tue Jul 17, 2012
Crye-Leike Property Management Services provides our clients with top notch services. Contact Fred Yancy, Broker, for your investment property. Here are the benefits and services provided by Crye-Leike Property Management Services:

Evaluate the property and determine an accurate rental rate

Market the property for rent
â– Prepare home for rent
â– Clean home and optimize interior appeal
â– Manicure landscaping to increase curb appeal
â– Create ads tailored to the property and advertising medium. Some of the mediums commonly used are:
â– Paid and free rental listing websites
â– Print publications
â– Signs
â– MLS
â– Fliers
â– Work with other realtors and leasing agents to find a tenant
â– Provide a 24-hour hot-line where prospective tenants can listen to detailed information about the property
â– Field calls from prospects for questions and viewings
â– Meet prospective tenants for showings throughout the week and weekend.
â– Provide prospective tenants with rental applications that are legally compliant with fair housing laws
â– Collection applications with application fee

Tenant Screening and Selection
â– Perform a background check to verify identity, income, credit history, rental history, etc.
â– Grade tenant according to pre-defined tenant criteria
â– Inform tenants who were turned down

Tenant Move In
â– Draw up leasing agreement
â– Confirm move in date with tenant
â– Review lease guidelines with tenant regarding things like rental payment terms and required property maintenance
â– Ensure all agreements have been properly executed
â– Perform detailed move in inspection with tenant and have tenants sign a report verifying the condition of the property prior to move-in.
â– Collect first months rent and security deposit

Rent collection
â– Receiving rent
â– Hunting down late payments
â– Sending out pay or quit notices
â– Enforcing late fees

Evictions
â– Filing relevant paperwork to initiate and complete an unlawful detainer action
â– Representing owner in court
â– Coordinating with law enforcement to remove tenant and tenants possessions from unit

Legal
â– Advise in the event of a legal dispute or litigation
â– Refer owner to a qualified attorney when necessary
â– Understand and abide by the latest local, state and federal legislation that apply to renting and maintaining rental properties.

Inspections
â– Perform periodic inspections (Inside and outside) on a predefined schedule looking for repair needs, safety hazards, code violations, lease violations, etc.
â– Send owner periodic reports on the condition of the property

Financial
â– Provide accounting property management services
â– Make payments on behalf of owner (Mortgage, insurance, HOA dues, etc.)
â– Detailed documentation of expenses via invoices and receipts
â– Maintain all historical records (paid invoices, leases, inspection reports, warranties, etc.)
â– Provide annual reporting, structured for tax purposes as well as required tax documents including a 1099 form
â– Advise owner on relevant tax deductions related to their rental property
â– Provide easy to read monthly cash-flow statements which offer a detailed breakdown of income and itemized expenses

Maintenance, Repairs, and Remodeling
â– Provide and oversee an in-house maintenance crew
â– Establish a preventative maintenance policy to identify and deal with repair needs
â– Provide an network of licensed, bonded and fully insured contractors who have been vetted for good pricing and good work that is up to code.
â– Assign jobs to different parties (in-house employees, handyman and professional contractors) based on who will do the best job for the best price.
â– Maintain outdoor areas
â– Leaf and snow removal
â– Landscaping
â– Removing trash and debris
â– Maintain and monitor a 24 hour emergency repair hot-line
â– Larger renovation or rehab projects
â– Provide recommendations on how the project can maximize rental income.
â– Prepare preliminary cost estimates
â– Get multiple independent bids for the work
â– Act as general contractor overseeing the work

Tenant Move Out
â– Inspect unit and fill out a report on the property's condition when the client moves out
â– Provide tenant with a copy as well as estimated damages
â– Return the balance of the security deposit to the tenant
â– Forward any portion of the owner?s portion of the tenant deposit to the owner or hold in owner reserves for repairs.
â– Clean unit and perform and needed repairs or upgrades
â– Re-key the locks
â– Put the property back on

Fred Yancy
If you are in CA and have a home in GA you should consider a property manager or at least find a good real estate attorney in the area to assist with your rental. Since you did not pose the question to the agent who helped in leasing the home I can assume you may need some help. Please feel free to contact us at 404-432-0466 and we can help find the right people you need to be a successful landlord.
Hello
You can deduct it only if they lose the keys and you must rekey.

Rosanne Wells
RE/MAX Town and Country
678 687-7589