Rental Basics in San Diego>Question Details

ladyarlia, Renter in San Diego, CA

Can I be kicked out of my place if I paid rent and have a signed agreement my master tenant and I wrote and signed and dated?

Asked by ladyarlia, San Diego, CA Sat Aug 17, 2013

I moved into my place last week. Today, my master tenant/roommate (whom I'll call Andrea) said she was going to kick me out. If I didn't already pay up until the end of September (and we BOTH signed a piece of paper stating I am paid in full for rent until then AND I made copies and have text messages from her saying that), I would have already left if I had the money to do so. I plan on getting a lock on my door and leaving around the 25th of September. She had no deposit and I am not on the lease, but Cox came the other day to install internet and cable which is in my name. I wonder what to do? I left a message for legal aid society and made copies of what we wrote and signed in case I lose the original. Her cousin also just moved in last night (and seems to be a decent guy so far) and she said she was going to throw him out, too. Andrea doesn't have any money, so there's no chance I'll get anything. Luckily, I didn't have to pay a deposit. I don't want to be evicted.

Answers

4
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I agree that getting some legal help to go over the contracts and give you some options is the best advice.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
Hello, Oh Boy, You can elect to stay in possession according to what you both agreed upon in writing and signed, unless it is an illegal doc to being with. ...if and when you receive a posted 3 day notice to vacate, and you are served with an written eviction notice by a summons server or a deputy, and you are living on limited funds, you might want to call and check on free legal services, then take docs to the court house for a pro-bono eviction attorney to answer within 5 day who will assist you and legally advise you. What is the reason 'Andrea' is Evicting you ? Does 'Andrea' have the legal right to sublet rooms in her lease agreement? Please use standard state approved lease forms and not invent the wheel by writing a lease or sub-lease agreement yourselves. Maybe you should cancel Cox and use wifi for a month. Best to change lock onthe house door and the bedroom door for access. Next time its important get our Realtor advice first!! lesson learned....
Web Reference: http://www.coastal.biz
Hi Ladyarlia,

This document may give you some guidance regarding your situation; however, seeking professional legal assistance is your best course of action if a basic discussion with the other party does not solve the situation.

http://docs.Steven-Anthony.com/Landlord-TenantGuideCA2012.pdf

-Steve
I feel very bad for your situation but I doubt if my advice or any other advice that you are going to get in this forum will make any impression on “Andrea”.

I think you are on the right track with the legal aid people.