I recommend Roslindale. It is a wonderful eclectic community of Boston. It has the arboretum which is owned by Harvard University and has great walking trails, places to bike and picnic. Also, Roslindale Village is known for it's wonderful restaurants! The commuter rail stops in the village and it is also a short drive into Boston (approx. 10 - 15 minutes). You are also close to a major hospital and private schools as well. Good luck and if you need any help finding a place, feel free to contact me.
South Shore Properties
I think a few things you should take into consideration:
1. Where do you work? Do you plan on driving to work or taking T/train?
2. Do you like to be in the country or in cities?
3. What do you like to do for leisure? Do you like nature-related activities or bars/museums/shops/theaters?
4. What is your budget like for renting? Are you single or with family or kids?
5. How many bedrooms/bathrooms do you need? Are you looking for roommates to share? Do you need a garage?
All these will make a big difference in finding a good place to rent. I do have a specialist on my team who does rentals. If you drop me a line, I will forward to him.
Yuan's Team Realty