Rental Basics in Boston>Question Details

Tom Kennedy, Renter in Boston, MA

Boston Neighborhoods?

Asked by Tom Kennedy, Boston, MA Tue May 8, 2012

I'm relocating to Boston, and I'd like to learn more about the neighborhoods. I did some research on Google and found the major areas and their history, however this isn't really offering the “local” info I'm looking for, especially in reference to renters.

What are the popular neighborhoods for rentals, and why? I'm used to living in a city where I know all the areas around me. So while I'm not looking to rent where all the university or people do, for example, I'll still find comfort in knowing my new city a bit more.

Thanks for any local info.

Answers

6
Rosemary Sheppard’s answer
Hi Tom,
I recommend Roslindale. It is a wonderful eclectic community of Boston. It has the arboretum which is owned by Harvard University and has great walking trails, places to bike and picnic. Also, Roslindale Village is known for it's wonderful restaurants! The commuter rail stops in the village and it is also a short drive into Boston (approx. 10 - 15 minutes). You are also close to a major hospital and private schools as well. Good luck and if you need any help finding a place, feel free to contact me.
Roe Sheppard
South Shore Properties
roesheppard@yahoo.com
Where will you be working? The waterfront is beautiful and you can walk to alot of places
Tom,

I think a few things you should take into consideration:

1. Where do you work? Do you plan on driving to work or taking T/train?
2. Do you like to be in the country or in cities?
3. What do you like to do for leisure? Do you like nature-related activities or bars/museums/shops/theaters?
4. What is your budget like for renting? Are you single or with family or kids?
5. How many bedrooms/bathrooms do you need? Are you looking for roommates to share? Do you need a garage?

All these will make a big difference in finding a good place to rent. I do have a specialist on my team who does rentals. If you drop me a line, I will forward to him.

Yuan's Team Realty
Tom-if that is a picture of your canine buddy that you're hoping to bring with you, your rental location may be contingent upon which landlord will allow a pet. Many Boston and contiguous neighborhoods are not pet-friendly when it comes to tenants. Even many condo bldgs have pet restrictions for owner occupied units.That being said,once you tell your agent if you have a pet,you can tell them your list of preferred criteria: you want a yard, or ablity to walk to restaurants, or be near a school, or near a trolley line, or near the financial district, or close to wherever your job may be etc. Then the agent can guide you to a property that best meets your needs.
Good answer! It points to what in the end it is important.
If there is room for one more detail it is that leasing contracts usually are for one year, so that gives you the change to experience how nice Boston is and where it is your favory neighborhood to live in. Welcome to Boston Tom!
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
The area you live in will come down to how much you are willing to spend on the apartment. Each neighborhood is different with regards to what you get for your money and the atmosphere.
The most common rental neighborhoods are Allston, Brighton, Mission Hill, and Cambridge.

If you want to stay away from the college students, Cambridge, South end, and South Boston will be ideal for you.