Rental Basics in Brentwood>Question Details

Westhouse, Renter in Brentwood, CA

At the end of a lease if I call and want to stay one more month. We agree verbally then 5 days later I dont want to. Am I still obligated to pay rent?

Asked by Westhouse, Brentwood, CA Wed Sep 15, 2010

Lease was ending at the end of the month. With ten days left I called the landlord and requested to stay in the house for 1 more month. Five days later I called back to get out of this house because my other house I was going to rent came available early. Do I still owe rent for that month?

Answers

4
Andy Del Real #DelRealGroup’s answer
Hi Westhouse

From my knowledge, Verbal contracts are still binding contracts. In other words, Yes you would have to pay for that month unless you and the landlord agreed on other terms.

I hope this doesnt sounds mean, but put yourself in your landlords shoes. While thinking like the Landlord, think about what you would have to do to get this property rented out asap in order not a lose a months rent when you thought you were going to have it rented out.

Just some food for thought

Let me know how it works out

Indalecio "Andy" Del Real
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 15, 2010
I thought that you should give at least 30 days notice in either case.

See link to CA landlord/tenant law http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf
Go to page 49 of that document regarding moving out

"Tenant's notice to end a periodic tenancy.

To end a periodic rental agreement (for example, a month-to-month agreement) you must give your landlord proper written notice before you move.

You must give the landlord the same amount of notice as there days between rent payments. This means that if you pay rent monthlt, you must give the landlord written notice at least 30 days before you move."
Greetings-

I totally agree with Andy. The most important thing is to communicate with the landlord because they may not mind you breaking the verbal agreement, especially since 6 days earlier they weren't expecting your tenancy past the end of the month.

Kemba Upshaw
Better Homes Realty- Elite
Discuss this question with your landlord and or attorney-- if your agreement was stay a month longer past your lease, yes, you will need to pay rent --again discuss with your landlord and or attorney.