Rental Basics in New York>Question Details

Trulia New Y…, Other/Just Looking in New York

As a homeowner renting out a property, what should one look for in a property management company? (Besides reviews)

Asked by Trulia New York, New York Mon Feb 18, 2013

Answers

5
reviews is the best way to start. yelp reviews.
proximity to the property-you want them in pretty close proximity to the property in question
6% of the rent roll less expenses is standard fee to a property management company.
years in business is a good sign- the longer the better usually!!
As a landlord myself, that is what I would want to see; someone who feels my pain.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
Its about personal connectivity. Make sure you connect well with the person and they care about your business personally. Its like choosing any other adviser. Good luck!!
Been in that position and that's a tough one, outside of reviews, a personal referral if possible is best.
Many landlords in New York are able to self-manage their units even as out of town owners. If you would like more details please call me. Charlie Summers SVP Bellmarc Realty 917-376-1648