Kristin Isib…, Renter in Colorado Springs, CO

Are there any landlords who is willing to allow more than 2 pets?

Asked by Kristin Isibel, Colorado Springs, CO Sun Jun 17, 2012

Hello, I am on the hunt to find answers about finding a rental with pets. I have an unique situation where my boyfriend and I are looking for a house rental where a landlord is willing to allow three pets. We have two wonderful well behaved cats who are litter trained and very mellow. However, the unique situation is that we are considering to get a dog because we both are deaf and want a dog to help us to hear things for us (i.e. doorbells, any sounds that is alarming) Are there anyone that I can contact with and finding help to find a rental that can allow this situaiton with pets? Any information would be very helpful! Thank you.

Answers

8
get a letter from your doctor saying that the dog is your service animal and no landlord can refuse to rent to you.
Hello! I want to thank you for your question and I would like to point you to the Federal Fair Housing Act that you can look up on http://www.hud.gov I was going to paste a link, but could not. The reason I think you should look there is that Service Animals are not the same as family pets in the eyes of the law. Since I am not an expert in the law, I cannot give specific advice to you, but I encourage you to do your research about the Rights that you are entitled to in this situation. The cats are pets, so I am sure that most landlords will see them as such and they will be subject to pet policies, but I am unsure as to whether a Landlord can opt to not rent to someone with a Service Animal. I hope this gives you some guidance and that you find the perfect place! All of the rentals in my company are occupied right now, but if I hear of any that will be coming up when your lease is over, I will let you know. Good luck and happy house hunting!
Yes, call Synergy Property Management to see what our inventory is for homes that allow 2 pets. Sometimes we have them sometimes we dont.

719-633-5078. tell them Charles sent you
Yes, their are landlords that will allow more that 2 pets, but they do charge a pet deposit for each pet. A dog that is us to help you, such as a dog that will be use to help you hear is not counted as a pet, so it would not in the pet count.
Thank you for your replies.

I am a college student but graduating this December. Therefore, I will have a job by January. Renting is my only option at the moment. My ideal rental house would be close to i25 highway and ranging in between 700 to 900 dollars a month with at least 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. I am looking to move in a place by end of September.
Kristin:

The rental vacancy rate is very low in Colorado Springs right now. Some say it's less than 0.5% Whatever the rate, homes are getting rented out very fast once they hit the open market and - because the rental supply is so low - the landlords get to dictate a lot of the terms. And, because of "once burned twice shy" many landlords may not want (or need) to rent out to people with pets because the rental demand is so high. Many renters don't take seriously their role as pet owners and allow the pets to do damage to the house. Usually the only responsibility or exposure the renter has is their deposit.

Is there any reason that you are not considering buying? For what you can rent a house for (and usually less) you can BUY a house and it is YOURS and you can keep just about as many pets as the city codes will allow.

It's a Buyers Market right now, low interest rates, and many homes for sale.

For example (and this is for educational purposes only!):

o If you pay $1200 per month in rent, well, that's what you get, a place to live for $1200 per month. No tax deductions and no equity built into the house. You can't make any changes (well, maybe the paint) and the yard may not be to you exact liking. Also you can't take any tax deductions.

o If you pay $1200 in a house payment, you could BUY a home that is about $180,000. There are currently 697 homes for sale under $180,000 in El Paso County. You can most likely take tax deductions on your income (talk to your tax person or accountant). You can usually make any changes that you want and can keep all the pets that you want too (well, there are limitations with city zoning laws but they probably allow more animals than you'd probably want).

I sold a house a while back to a guy that is an instructor at the Colorado Deaf and Blind School - maybe I can put you in touch with each other to go over the home buying process (I'm pretty certain he's fluent in ASL).

Also, home buying can be scary. It's OK, I can help you through the education - there is a lot of stuff to learn that will ultimately make you well educated home buyers - before signing any contract or engaging in any legal or financial obligation.

If you are still really interested in renting, I'd contact a property management company to help with your search, These companies manage properties for landlords and often have a lot of resources and information to match Renters and Landlords.

I'd really explore buying a house in parallel with your rental search. Right now I think buying is a better option.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Ed
---------
Edward M. King
Licensed Colorado Real Estate Broker
Keller Williams Clients Choice Realty
1283 Kelly Johnson Boulevard
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
Mobile: 719.338.0317
Office: 719.535.0355
Fax: 866.342.1037
Email: edward.m.king@kw.com
I am a realtor. I represent a Landlord who has a rental home available in August that does not have a pet limit. However, the Landlord does require a pet deposit. I dont know if the home is in the location you prefer or your price range, but you are welcome to contact me for additional information.
Additionally, I have three months left before my lease is up.