Rental Basics in Seattle>Question Details

traveladdict, Renter in La Grange, IL

Are there agents out there that help people out of town, find an apartment, at no cost? I'm moving to Seattle and do not have much time.

Asked by traveladdict, La Grange, IL Mon Aug 12, 2013

Answers

5
Bert Han’s answer
Hi traveladdict,
Agents may help you if you rent a place the agent found on the mls, because then the agent will get some kind of a commission from the rental owner. But doing this will limit your search. Others have posted on helpful websites, another one to use is: http://www.housingsearchnw.org.

Bert
Hi traveladdict
I appreciate your situation and am a avid traveler and I will guide you at no cost. I can help direct you and give you some ideas. No expense. When I was traveling for 2 years, people were so generous to me and helping you will help me pay it forward. My email is sharilaverty@gmail.com.
Kindest regards.
These are both good answers. Real estate agents will typically show you what's on the MLS, usually privately owned homes and condos that the owner wants to rent out. The self-serve websites, like Craigslist will typically have more variety and include apartment communities, but you're better off exploring those on your own. It really all depends on what you want and where you want it. What's your price range? Where in Seattle do you want to be? How much space do you need?
Hi! I would like to live downtown (or walking distance) to the Nordstrom headquarters. My max budget is $1400 including parking, and I am open to living in a studio or one bedroom. Do you know of anything that fits that criteria?
Flag Mon Aug 12, 2013
Hi Traveladdict,

Yes, there are agents like me who help because we build our business on relationships and referrals. The fee is paid by the owner on listed properties, so there is normally no fee to you.

There are good rental properties in the Northwest mls, but supply is VERY limited. I am happy to help you search the mls, but at the same time I recommend you stay on top of Craig's list and other public rental sites. The last time I checked vacancy in Seattle, it was about 4%! You can also set up a rental search at my web site, http://www.buyandsellseattlerealestate.com .

Karen
The help we give is limited, but seattle.craigslist.com, walkscore.com, apartments.com, seattleapartments.com, and apartmentfinder.com can be useful.