Rental Basics in Morgan Hill>Question Details

Dianecty, Home Buyer in Morgan Hill, CA

Are duplexes rentable in Morgan Hill? What would be an average rate for 2B/1B duplex unit? Is there a?

Asked by Dianecty, Morgan Hill, CA Thu May 14, 2009

demand for apartments/duplex units in Morgan Hill? Am thinking of buying a duplex in Morgan Hill - one to live in another to rent out. I'm afraid no one wil rent my unit since there are a lot single family homes there. What do you think?

Answers

6
The latest numbers I heard indicated that Morgan Hill had a vacancy rate of 2.5% - 3% (Depending on where you get your numbers). See the web reference for one source on vacancy rates in Morgan Hill.
I think your idea of purchasing a duplex (living in one side while renting out the other) is an outstanding idea. Nice duplexes don't come along often and when they do (if priced right) they go quickly. The most desirable duplexes in Morgan Hill for both those looking to purchase and rent are located on Shadowbrook Way and Carriage, off Llagas. The neighborhood is great and the home styles are timeless.
Yes, you can absolutely rent a duplex in Morgan Hill. However, the same sort of limitations apply here as do with other rental properties. I work with a couple of property management firms in Morgan Hill when trying to determine potential rental values for a property. We base it on real rental rates of similar properties so we can determine as 'real' a number as possible.

Rentals in Morgan Hill are doing ok right now. However, 2b/2b type units tend to be less desirable than other configurations. Also, the location is going to make a difference - in some cases, a big one.

I am including a web link to my search engine. You can search for rentals there. Just zoom in to the area where the duplex is located and see what other properties with the same features are offering.

In general, rental rates have risen during the foreclosure situation. The key is to get your math right before you even buy the investment property.

Hope that helps,
Robert Whitelaw
Owner/Broker
Whitelaw & Sons Real Estate Services
Morgan HIll, CA
MH is not the rural place many thought. It is 15 mins away from San Jose just an extension of SJ.
Many prefer a smaller town, friendly environment. Stated bluntly is SJ City a difficult city to rent?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 23, 2009
Is it rentable though? In other words, is there a high vacancy rate in Morgan Hill or is there a demand for rental housing? Thanks again!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 16, 2009
MH is a small town. As such there are only 3 multi-families on the market. They start around 750s for a 3 plex.
As for duplex there was only 1 traded hands last 12 months fetched around 400s(bank owned). Duplex does not come on the market often here in MH.