Rent vs Buy in Lehigh Valley>Question Details

Allison Demj…, Renter in Palmerton, PA

is there an easier way to find a rental that allows pets? it seems hopeless.

Asked by Allison Demjanick, Palmerton, PA Sat Sep 24, 2011

I'm constantly debating with myself whether or not to just buy a home other than rent. I'm 26 yrs old and living in a house that is in the process of foreclosure. i lived at home with my mother who passed away last year. she had no will. the house is in need of extensive repairs that i could and would not want to deal with, so trying to buy that house is out of the question. I have a 13 yr old dog that i just can't get rid off, he's family and trying to find a place to rent even with a roomate is ridiculous. The places that actually allow pets require absurd security deposits and added monthly payments. Should i just look into buying considering low interest rates?

Answers

4
Allison, having had the loss of my mother at a young age to me, I know there is no worse time than the loss of a mother. I can only wish you strength and more of it.

I am a Realtor as well as a leading rental property owner in Lehigh Valley. I have encountered this situation several times and I understand how hard it is. This is the way to go. First Rule, use a local Realtor, it costs you nothing to get them to help you. Realtors do this job 24/7, know the business, and most should be able to give you several options with in few days. BTW A realtor is also faithful and loyal to you like a dog. Rule 2 Ask friends to recommend you a good Realtor. Good professionals have many satisfied customers. Rule 3 Provide as many documents as you can. Realty thrives on paperwork. Of course every one should give their agent income proving documents; Pet owners need to do more. Provide letter of references from friends, boss, neighbors, Church buddy, and pictures of your dog. Show how trained your pet is. Call landlord to your home to show that there is no damage by pet ever. Provide a copy of license, (tag), and a letter from a veterinarian. Rule 6 Be ready to pay a little more to have a pet. Landlords need to cover extra wear and tear. Last and most important rule. Take care of the property you rent. Take care of pet odor. Be a good neighbor and keep pet noise to minimum. In case of any difficulty consult your Realtor. A Realtor is your local friend and will always help you. Having a Realtor on your side is a VERY GOOD THING for FREE to you! A Realtor will keep every thing legal and above board. Like a good Dog a Realtor will save you from unscrupulous landlords who target the most vulnerable and needy people with a bad lease document. And when ever you decide buy a house in future – the known Realtor will help you again with double enthusiasm. Isn’t this a double win?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 25, 2011
Allison,

First of all, I'm so sorry that you lost your mom! And at such a young age! I completely understand about the pet issue, as a "parent" to 3 golden retrievers, I can't imagine life without them! Joan made a great point about working with a realtor. Often times people work with realtors or property managers to help them rent their home, so naturally my first step would be to work with one. Another idea would be to look at homes that are vacant and have been on the market for sale for a while. I've had a few clients lucky enough to find a desperate homeowner paying a mortgage on an empty house and we willing to rent it out just to keep up their payments. However it works out, I wish you the best!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 24, 2011
Most of the rentals we see do not allow ANY pets, period. However the ones we do allow pets at do require extra security deposits and an additional monthly pet fee. Bottom line is pets (even good ones) are a risk for a landlord, so pet owners must pay a premium.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 25, 2011
Hi Allison,
I totally understand & I hear you I'm a pet lover too. My best advice to you is to work with a realtor in your area rather than look on your own and have them do a search for a rental that allows pets. They are out there.it may turn out that you may have to move a bit outside your area to find one. You can also have your realtor ask other rentals that have been sitting on the market vacant for a while if they would reconsider renting to someone witha dog . A lot of landlords do change their mind after sitting with a vacant house for a while because they need the rental income , so keep trying.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 24, 2011