Rent vs Buy in Las Vegas>Question Details

Tye, Other/Just Looking in

in military moving to las vegas in july need to know where the safe neighborhoods are and good schools

Asked by Tye, Sat Feb 7, 2009

what are the houses going for and is it best to rent or buy

Hey Tye,

I wanted to give you some input on moving here to Las Vegas, I read the last answer stating to look in the Green Valley area which made me realize that I need to tell you my experience.

Let me start with letting you know that we moved here from Hawaii 2 years ago. When we started planning on the move, we decided to buy a home here while we were still in Hawaii. Just as we found a house in Green Valley and decided that we liked the pictures that we seen (we never went to walk the property) we were going through the process of buying. There were a lot of people who also mentioned to us that Green Valley was the perfect area.

Well my mother-in-law, who has veen a resident here in Vegas for just about 20 years, found out that we were going to buy the home and called us right away. She gave us the best advise ever. She told us not to sign any papers and do not buy anything until we live here for a least 6 months. I gave her a hard time about it at first because my whole point was that the market was starting to climb and we didn't want to wait and it gets worse. Well, she made some very good points and talked us out of the sale. But I must say that I'm glad she did.

We ended up moving here, stayed with my mother-in-law for the first 3 months and started renting our first place. Well, within that first 3 months that we were with my mother-in-law, Green Valley High School was already on the news. The children there were having "Pill Parties", where they would gather at a house and everyone just brings all kinds of pills and throw it in a big bowl for everyone to pick out from and try whatever one they wanted.

My oldest boy would've been attending that school and right at that moment I had to thank my mother-in-law for talking us out of the sale that we were in the process of.

Yes, Green Valley is a very nice area, but if you have the same concerns that I have about the schools that the children attend, you would stay away from that one. The problem is, the families that live in that area are wealthy. From what I understand, it's the type where the parents aren't home because they're always working, but the children have the money to spend and so naturally they experiment with it. I'm not saying that every family there is like that, but they are there. The children that were on the news about that situation even said the same thing.

So I wanted to let you know that the best thing for you and your family to do is to move here and see the actual neighborhoods and check the stats of the school, then purchase. But be very, very picky about the area that you chose.

From what I noticed since we've been here is the streets that has numbers and the streets that has letters (not actual names) in it is the ones that I would never move to. I also make it a point to never go near Owens and try to stay away from MLK (Martin Luther King). There also two different color street signs and the ones with blue ones are the ones that I don't care for being around.

Another thing is, you may want to try and purchase on the outskirts. The farther you are from the city, the safer it seems. You'll see what I'm trying to say when you get here. Just take a drive around and you'll realize.

Well, happy searching and I hope you decide to rent for at least 6 months just to learn the areas.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 22, 2009
The Ballen Group is right about Fair Housing Laws and what we as Real Estate agents can say. Makes it tough, because that's one of the most common questions from people moving here from out of state.

I put this blog together to help research schools:…

...and just put this one together to help with community and neighborhood research:…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 7, 2009
I 100% recommend Greenvalley. I have been in Las Vegas most of my life and in Green vallt for 4 1/2 years. I also and a substitute teacher for our school district and can tell you the the schools in green valley are the best you will find out here without going to private schools. I really cannot state enough how wonderful and area this is for a family. Greenvalley is technically Henderson which has been vored several times into America 100 most playful cities as we have many parks, golf course and rec centers here. As a mother I take full advantage of the ability to walk to wonderful, we kept parks and beautiful shopping areas such as the district.. I understand your fear 100% as we are also a military family who will be PCSing the end of this month.. I would recommend you check out the AHRN site which recommends off post housing. you can search for homes in Henderson specifically. I would recommend staying away from teh older parts of any city and they tend to be the least family friendly.. If you need any more help please email me and we can talk on the phone.. its hard to find real truths and I know as a military wife how unnerving that can be.
Web Reference:
Try looking in Green Valley in Henderson. It depends on how far you want to drive. Green Valley is awesome!
Amazingly I have friends who live in neighborhoods that I might not want to live, and the same is true in reverse. The bottom line is what works for you and what you consider a good school, a good neighborhood may not be what someone else likes. Still it is true that it is against federal law to steer you toward any particular neighborhood. Deciding what works for you can easily be determined by how you personally feel when you drive into that neighborhood. Next make a list of what critera you have when looking for a "good school" and see if you can match it with the neighborhood you like. Whether it is regarding schools or crime you can find this information on my website: Look at-About The Area and click on links. You'll see information there that will be helpful. A word of caution regarding crime- do you really know what the level is in the area you live now? Almost every state and city now has some source that you can go to obtain this information. Some can be extremely locatlized to a 1/4 mile radius, while other sites take a much broader view to give the information. In other words you can't compare a site that the level of crime covers several mile radius while a site that a covers a different area of Las Vegas can look at a 1/4 mile radius. In a large city it is possible to have increased crime a mile from a neighborhood and still have limited crime a 1/4 mile from a neighborhood. This is where you must use your judgement in determining what is best for you. In the end you are the only person who can determine what is best. If an agent was allowed to do that, they would have their own bias, which undoubtably would be different than your desires.
I'd be happy to help you in finding a special home that would meet your needs. Good luck!

Issues of neighborhood safety are best directed to the local police department or county sheriff's department. they have access to the most current and accurate information and are generally very willing to be helpful.

Many Airmen that are working at the base like to avoid traveling very far from Nellis..
Start you search in zipcodes 89086, 89084, 89084, 89031 and 89130.
Good luck and you can search for homes on my site.

Bill Johnson
(702) 553-6543
Coldwell Banker Wardley
Fair housing laws prohibit agents from expressing what is a "good" school or "safe" neighborhood. I would suggest you use the internet to investigate crime and schools. If you google nevada crime and nevada schools, you will probably find lists of website that can help. When you are zoned in on an area, we would be happy to email you available properties. Good Luck! Feel free to use our website (link below) to search the Las Vegas MLS Live & FREE. No registration required.