Rent vs Buy in Houston>Question Details

Teddybear, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

can a person rent aq house in northwest houston with a low credit score and old criminal record?

Asked by Teddybear, Houston, TX Sat Jan 8, 2011

Answers

6
Yes you should be able to if you havea good employement history and rental history. I am a landlord myself and both of my tenants don't have credit score but they also don't have any recent criminal background which I check. So if your crimnial record is old enough and can support with good stream of income to pay the rent, landlord like me might be will to open and give a second chance.
I agree with the others. You should be honest and up front. It might help to write a letter and show every strong point you have (basically, convincing them you would make a great tennant) and anything that would show you are a responsible person. They are going to look for timely payments and good standing debts. If you can get good references to write up, even better.

Best to you!
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/sboon
I would think that this would be directly up to the landlord as they would be the one that would ultimately be the determining factor. I would think that if there is no old collections or judgements that are directly related to old apartments, rent houses then you should be okay. Hope this helps.
Web Reference: http://www.kgcm.com
It's possible to rent a house in Northwest Houston if you have a low credit score. Most landlords understand that someone that's renting doesn't necessarily have the best credit, otherwise they would be buying instead of renting.
Also it depends on how many applicants a landlord receives on the rental house. You may want to include a letter of explanation (why your credit score is low), when you submit your rental application.

As far as your criminal record, that of course would need to be disclosed on the application. Some landlords also require a background check, & they (landlord) will have to make their decision based on the type of criminal offense & length of time, and circumstances surrounding the offense. (you may also include a separate letter of explanation if necessary).

Everyone deserves a second chance. Best of luck to you!
Web Reference: http://www.amandahomes.com
Teddybear: You may be limited in what is available. If you have some skills, such as electrician, handyman, plumber, gardening, then you may want to seek out a rental that needs some form of repair. This way you can help out an owner who may need some work done on an older home. Being honest about your credit will go a long way and it would depend on your criminal history. Writing a detailed letter explaining the issues can help you also.

~~~
Much would depend on the landlord and consider being up front--how low is your score, one could consider offering additional security money, or pay some of the rent in advance, etc.