Rent vs Buy in Columbia>Question Details

Violetamix77, Home Seller in Fort Irwin, CA

Why My Millage Rate Is Higher If I Rent My House?, isn't the milage rate supposed to be the same

Asked by Violetamix77, Fort Irwin, CA Sat Apr 18, 2009

We are paying for the same school then if we lived there. I understand that my Ratio is going to be 6% but why they have to increased the milage rate?

Your millage rate should not be higher on a rental property. As you said, your rate has gone from 4% to 6% which, in my opinion, is extremely unfair. It causes the landlord to have to raise rents above what they would be and that does not help anyone. That is a political problem though and has nothing to do with your real question. What has likely happened is some special measure was passed that increased it. That can happen from time to time if, for instance, they put a sidewalk in. You may be required to "contribute to the cause". There may be some increases that have been slipped in since you lived there. The best thing you can do is to call the tax assessor and ask them why the millage rate has increased and when it is expected to decrease, which will likely be never. Without seeing your statements, that question can't be answered. Call them. They will explain it to you and if it is wrong, they will fix it if you request it.
Web Reference:
Hello Violet, I would like to research this for you, and to do so properly, there are a couple of questions that I would need answered. Please contact me at or you can reach me 803-800-4448.

Looking forward to assisting you now and in the future.

Howard Rose III
Army (Retired) Realtor