Rent vs Buy in New Jersey>Question Details

Rohanna Sevi…, Renter in Queens, NY

Where is a Good Place for Newlyweds to Rent An Apartment in NJ?

Asked by Rohanna Seville, Queens, NY Fri Mar 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I are planning to marry the end of this year or early next year. We are not engaged yet, but we know we want to be prepared to find the right place to live once we start to prepare for our wedding. Right now I work in New York City, and I live in Long Island, and my boyfriend also lives in New York City. We are looking for anywhere in New Jersey that will be an easier and close commute back and forth to and from NYC. Also, affordable, safe, convenient to shopping, parking, or public transit if necessary, and spacious! I like the more suburb like feeling of Long Island instead of the hustle and bustle of the City.. so we are looking for a nice quiet area like LI to live. Also, we would like to know, is it more beneficial to rent or buy our first place together? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Answers

7
If I had it to do over, I would have rented when I first moved from the city to NJ - I agree with Debbie, renting for a year will give you an opportunity to "test" your new location and see if it feels like home. She has suggested some great areas. If you venture further west, to Somerset County's Basking Ridge, Bedminster, or Bridgewater which have lots of rentals, I can help you.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 1, 2012
I am sorry, but I really need to say this one more time.......I don't care if it is less money monthly to buy.........do NOT buy if you are new to an area.....not in this unpredictible market.....if you buy now, it should be for the long term.......get the feel of an area first, and make sure it's what you want.

Some NJ towns to consider are: S. Orange, Maplewood, Montclair, Morristown, Chatham...........all are along the mid town direct train route - direct to Penn Station.............all offer various suburban landscapes, charm and close proximity to boutique shops, restaurants, S Orange Performing Arts Center, Papermill Playhouse theater......... and the well known Mall at Short HIlls, whch includes every 5th Avenue store, along with Neimans, Nordstroms, Bloomies, Saks and Macy's plus numerous other well known stores others............and can be similar to many Long island towns.......the train ride is anywhere from 37 min to 50 min.

West Orange has bus service (45 min) as well as town jitneys to the mid town direct train......

Hoboken and Jersey City have a more urbane/city feel...........but offer the shortest commute.

Let me know if you want more specific information!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 30, 2012
Rohanna,

Depends on where you work, how you will get there, how much you want to spend and how large a place you want.

I currently have two apartments available in a lovely 2 family home in Rahway on the Avenel border. It's close to shopping, highways, transit etc.

Both 2 bedrooms, LR, kitchen,1 full bath. Nice yard, central AC, basement for laundry and lots of storage.

Give me a call at 908-675-0167 or email me at PruMaryNJ@aol.com and I can send you the full listings.
Hi Rohanna,

As you can see, you have several options to consider, however I still think before you start your search for a rental, you consider a monthly budget which will include not only your rent, but your transportation costs. With gas prices continuing to increase these days, many commuters are feeling the pinch.

Hi Rohanna,

I think you two may be interested in Secaucus, NJ.

Location: Very close to New York City (15 minute drive into midtown Manhattan, about 20 minutes by bus).

Train ride from Secaucus Junction: 15 minutes to Penn Station.

Rents are reasonable.

Its probably the closest "feels like Long Island" town you'll find in NJ.

To answer your last question:

Low interest rates and fairly low home prices = less money right now per month to own than to rent.

Making a purchase is a big committment, but absolutely worth it.

Towns in NJ all have different tax rates (many are high, however, some can be fairly low based on the averages). Taxes play a big role into the monthly payment calculus.

Your monthly payments (mortgage, taxes, and insurance) will vary based on where in NJ and what type of property you would be interested in purchasing.

Please feel free to call, text, or email me anytime.. If you'd like, i can put together some spreadsheets to give you an idea of what your total costs would be based on specific properties. And in case you were wondering: Sellers pay all realtor commissions (buyers do not pay to use an agent).

Raymond Mitchell
Realtor-Associate
North Hudson Realty
646 60th Street
West New York, NJ 07093

Office: 201-863-5500
Cell : 201-682-2844

email: ray.mitchell@rocketmail.com
HI Rohanna, and good luck with your upcoming marriage!

My advice would be to rent first and make sure you like the area before buying, especially considering you would be new to the area.

As far as possible towns to consider, I'd need to know your price range, and personal style preferences...single family home? townhome? apartment in a highrise building?

Also, how long of a commute are you comfortable with?

I'd be happy to offer more specific suggestions once I know more about your needs....so feel free to reach out to me!

Best wishes...
Debbie
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Congratulations on your future plans to marry your fiance. I too moved to NJ from NYC for more of a suburbia lifestyle. Since you want to be close to the city, you should first decide on the type of commute you desire and the length of time you desire. This will help to narrow down some potential areas for you to search. There are some areas that are strictly bus commuting towns and some that are both bus and train. Also, consider a monthly budget to commute. Commuting costs can be costly depending on how far you commute from the city. Lastly, you should decide on how much per month you want to pay in rent. House prices have come down in some areas that it could be cheaper to purchase a home.

If I can be of further assistance, let me know.

Best of luck to you!