Rent vs Buy in Seattle>Question Details

v.fernandez67, Renter in Seattle, WA

What would be a convenient neighborhood for commuting to the airport? Ill probably rent before buying.

Asked by v.fernandez67, Seattle, WA Wed Jun 26, 2013

I'm a single mature female currently a townhome owner in No. Virginia, relocating end of this year. Since I'm not familiar with the area at all I think I would rent an apt. or townhouse first. I don't need to be in the city that often, proximity to work is more important to me.

Answers

11
V,
Welcome to the Northwest. For proximity, any local agent can search a radius around SeaTac Airport and provide you all the rentals in the area. SeaTac is located south of the city and is surrounded by the cities of Burien, Tukwila, Renton, Kent & Des Moines.
The immediate area around the airport will bring issues of noise, traffic and potential crime as in all major cities, so are there other considerations? How close to do you want to be? Will you be driving or using the new light rail or bus? Are there community features you'd like to be near such as parks, waterfront or shopping & restaurants?
Let us know a bit more about yourself and what you would enjoy and maybe we can advise you better. Or even better yet, contact one of us and we can discuss with you in detail where you'd like to be.
Hi V - Plenty of great input already provided. West Seattle and the western parts of Burien and Des Moines (closest to the water you can afford) would be nice and convenient. I would also consider the NW section of Federal Way (Redondo area)...west of Pacific Highway.

When looking for a rental, I suggest Trulia, Craigslist, Zillow and Hotpads. Be careful of scams on Craigslist. If you have any questions about the rental process, feel free to post again on Trulia Voices and I'll do my best to answer. Good luck!
Look into the light rail system. It currently runs from SeaTac to Downtown Seattle, hitting parts in-between.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Central-Link-light-rai…

I agree with your decision to rent. Better to learn a city than to commit to a location.
Hi there,
West Seattle is an excellent area for commuting to the airport where you can avoid I-5 and much traffic as well. You can probably have a 15 minute ride to the airport. Georgetown is also close. Good luck!

Robin
West Seattle, for sure. Great neighborhoods with some superb views, good shops/restaurants, easy access to downtown. NEVER traffic heading south to the airport.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 7, 2013
vFernandez, if you fly a lot I wouldn't overlook the convenience of just being able to take the Light Rail right into the airport. I always hate airport parking.

That said, I do realize the limitations of the neighborhoods on the light rail line. Probably not much in the way of view properties, for example. There are some nice areas though. I sold a townhouse on Beacon Hill that would be "rolling distance" to the underground light rail station. I always thought that would be a great location for a pilot or steward(ess), and it's obviously great for anyone working downtown.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 27, 2013
Hello, Ms. Fernandez -

You have received great suggestions below for neighborhoods and areas with good commute times and options to get to the airport. A very important factor in your decision is what you would like to be close to - are you a person that wants a walkable neighborhood with a good proximity to neighborhood businesses or do you prefer to live a bit further out and to be away from the city? Each of the areas below have a different feel and personality so put together your wish list of what you would like in a new place and it will help you to zero in on places that will suit your needs.

Walkscore ( http://www.walkscore.com/ ) is a great online resource and you can use it to estimate travel times via transit, car, bike or foot. Just put in an address, zip code, or neighborhood and then in the upper right hand corner you can put in preferred travel time and mode - the map will show you options within that travel time and mode.

I wish you good fortune with your move and new home!
With kind regards,
Jill
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 26, 2013
You have a number of choices when it comes to communities within close proximity to the airport. The nearest communities are the City of Sea-Tac, Burien, Des Moines, and Normandy Park. If you want to have a Seattle address then you could consider West Seattle, Fauntleroy, or Seward Park and Rainier Beach to the east. If you work at the airport, then I might recommend Des Moines, Burien, or Normandy Park. They are nearest, so the commute would be shorter ---and transit would be available. Des Moines is a bit quieter than Burien, and Normandy Park has more single-family homes than apartments or townhouses. I hope this information is helpful to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 26, 2013
Light rail, light rail, light rail. Makes airport super easy. You do not want to live near airport.
I used to live in Burien. Very easy access to the airport! It's also close to the city and light rail (as some have already mentioned). Some parts of Burien are better than others. Closer to the water is going to be nicer, of course. Seahurst area is nice. You may also want to look into Normandy Park. It's right next to Burien, but more upscale.
Great info guys; thanks! I'll be driving to the airport. (My current DC commute is an hour, so anything less than that will be heavenly! Like maybe 30mins?) I'd love to be able to have some mt and/or water views. Close to shopping and restaurants (not necessarily walking distance though.)
I'll be out there next week to get the lay of the land and see what speaks to me. Thanks again :)